Interrupted

A month later, it was the 3rd round of the exams. I arrived on time and only 8 of us were there. The guy I was fighting, Dosu and Sasuke were not present. "You have got to be kidding me." I sighed and crossed my arms.I glanced up to the Hokage's area and saw Lord third, then the Kazekage next to him, Gaara's father.

"Everyone, thank you very much for coming the Konoha Chunin Exam." Lord third announced. "We will now begin the final round matches between the 10 who made it through the preliminaries! Please watch until the end!" He said.

"Only 8 of us are here on time.." I sighed. My match was last, so I didn't care all that much.

"I have something to tell you before the match. Look at this, there was a slight change to the tournament. Check who you'll be facing one more time." Genma said showing us the match ups.

1) Naruto - Neji

2) Gaara - Sasuke

3) Kankuro - Shino

4) Temari - Shikamaru 

The winner of Gaara's match will be my opponent and the winner of that match will face either Shino or Kankuro.

"Dosu dropped out?" I asked myself. "He was a sound ninja, maybe Orochimaru disposed of him?" I thought.

"Um, Sasuke still hasn't come. What'll happen?" Naruto asked.

"In case a competitor doesn't arrive by the start time of his match, he or she will lose by default." Genma said and faced me, "then you will fight Gaara instead." 

"Damn it Kakashi... He better not pick up your habit of being late." I thought.

"Listen up you guys, the terrain is different, but the rule is that there are no rules. Same as the preliminaries. The match will continue until one or the other dies, or acknowledges defeat. However, if I judge it as done, I'll stop the match there. Arguments will not be allowed. Understood?" he asked us. "The first match is, Uzukami Naruto, Hyuga Neji. Those 2 remain, the others go up to the waiting room."

"Good luck." I smiled at Naruto before leaving with the other participants. I turned and walked towards the staircase. I sat down on the ground, next to the railing, so I could see the match from a comfortable angle.

~~

It was now Temari and Shikamaru's match. Sasuke's match was postponed, "guess everyone really wanted to see the lasat Uchiha fight" I thought since it also meant my match was pushed back and changed to whoever wins this current fight. In other words, it'll either by Temari or Shikamaru. I watched as Shikamaru was practically thrown off the railing and into the arena by Naruto.

I laughed a bit as he refused to stand to start the match, and the audience was getting annoyed, one because it was taking forever, two because they wanted to see Sasuke's fight.

After an interesting fight between the two, Temari won. "I'm fighting Mari then.." I thought as Temari made her way back up to the waiting area.

The next match was Sasuke vs Gaara. Sasuke still hadn't shown up yet though. "I wonder who will win.." I thought and glanced at Gaara. 

It's almost been 10 minutes, and Sasuke still wasn't here. I looked at the clock on the wall. "Time's up." I thought then a whirl of leaves appeared and Sasuke appeared with Kakashi.

"Cutting it close there." I thought as I looked at the two of them.

I silently observed the fight, mainly focusing my attention on Gaara. I watched as he encased himself in a ball of sand. Shikamaru and Naruto went off somewhere, so I was left here with Temari, Kankuro, and Shino. I saw Sasuke's Chidori go through Gaara's sand ball.

I quietly left the resting area and went to find something to eat or dink. I got to the audience stands when a sudden explosion was heard from where the Hokage's were sitting.

"Lord Hokage!" Guy yelled and about 4 ANBU stood from the audience and went up to the roofs.

I saw the Kazekage had Lord third hostage. A barrier had formed around them, and one of the ANBU was set on fire after touching it. Four sound ninja jumped out from their hiding spots, and went up to the barrier. "This is a problem.." I said, pulling out my Katana.

"(Y/n), go to Sasuke" Kakashi said from behind me.

I glanced down and saw Gaara and his team mates were there. "Genma is with him." I said.

"And what about Gaara?" he asked.

Knowing he had a point, I jumped down towards the arena. I evaded one of the sound ninja and turned around, quickly killing him with my katana. I landed next to Genma, with Sasuke behind us, and the sand trio in front of us.

"Do you think things will go according to your plan?" Genma asked them and I gripped my katana tighter. Temari and Kankuro took Gaara away, "Sorry, but the Chunin exams end here." Genma said.

"You've already achieved Chunin level, Sasuke. And you," Genma looked at me. "You know what you have to do." he said softly for me to hear only.

I looked at Sasuke and placed a hand on his shoulder, "I'm coming with you." I said knowing he was planning to chase after them and Sasuke nodded.