To the Edge and Back: Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"I looked everywhere for you," I tell Haven. She's sitting across from me in the dining room. Several members of the original group are huddled around the table as well. I tell Haven about everything that had happens the past nine months. I tell her about my uncle and my journey to the farm. I tell her about the troubles we all faced to make this place what it is. She eagerly listens.

I tell her of Dereck and what he and I had been through. I leave out the part about his torture. She doesn't need to know about that.

I finish my story and she then begins to tell hers. "When it all started, most of my family didn't make it. A few days later, everyone I knew was gone. I wandered for months by myself. I scavenged any supplies or weapons that I could find. I met several other groups along the way. All of them were a lot smaller than this one though. They offered me a chance to join their groups but I decided that it would be best to remain alone. I was headed toward the interstate when I came across this place. When I got to the front gate I thought I was looking at a ghost. I thought I would never see you again," Haven smiles at me as she finishes her story.

"That's all fine and dandy, but when am I gonna get my hands on one of those guns?" Walt demands. "Never," Haven replies, "I don't like sharing." She gives Walt a cold stare. She pulls out a sawed-off shotgun from one of her black combat boots and lays it on the table. "Go ahead. Take it. You won't live long enough to use it anyway," Haven says with confident look toward Walt.

Walt storms out of the room. "Who's the albino?" Haven asks. "A recurring nuisance," I answer, "Don't bother with him Haven. He's no trouble anymore."

Haven and I are the only ones in the dining room. By this time, everyone had already left. "So, what's it like out there, all alone?" I curiously ask. "It's hell. It does have its nice moments though. When people are actually friendly to you and not trying to kill you, or worse," she responds while looking into the distance.

I show her to my room where she'll be staying. "Home sweet home," I say. She drops her bag on the floor. She removes her swords from their sheaths and puts them beside her bag. "I'm gonna take a nap. I haven't slept in four days," Haven says as she collapses onto the mattress.