To the Edge and Back: Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"Keep running!" Zach shouts as we sprint pass the line trees of the forest. Runners, or hunters, are more abundant now. We're running away from a pack of them at the moment.

We took the body of the first one that I killed and examined it to understand more about them. Their eyes are almost sealed shut from the infection so they use smell and hearing to find prey. They usually travel in packs like wolves. They even have an alpha hunter that seems to lead the pack. Aside from the fact that run at you with full speed, they also shriek whenever they're about to attack.

"We should stand and fight!" Taylor says as we dodge fallen tree limbs. The air is starting to get colder as the months have gone by. Autumn will be here soon. "I agree with Taylor!" I yell to the others. "No. We need to keep going," Zach tells us. "Not me," Taylor says.

Taylor stops in his tracks and turns to face the runners. He pulls out his scimitar and waits for the fight to come to him. When I see him do this, I run to his side. I draw my claws out and wait for the right time to strike.

"What the hell are you doing?!?" Zach screams at us. "Stand my ground," Taylor replies with a determined look. The runners close in on us. Fifty yards away. I look back at Haven. She's stopped and armed herself with her sniper rifle.

Thirty yards away now. Zach had given in and is standing beside us. His hatchet is in his left hand, poised for attack. Twenty yards. Ten yards. Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

We all attack at the same time. Taylor manages to sever the heads of two hunters. I swing both of my claws and manage to kill four runners. Zach takes the head off of one with his axe. Haven shoots several in the head with her rifle. The pack is gone in a matter of seconds.

We all take a minute to catch our breath. Zach turns his attention toward Taylor. "Next time you think of doing something that stupid, don't. If you do, you might wake up with a case of my axe in your skull disease. Got it?" Taylor stares at Zach with a deadly look. "Got it, friend," Taylor answers with a sarcastic tone. He turns and starts walking in the direction we were going.