To the Edge and Back: Chapter 6

Chapter 6

We walk straight into the ginormous horde. Zach begins to hack away at them with his hatchet. Keaton is slicing heads off the undead left and right. I back away from the fighting to put my gauntlets on. As I'm doing this, Barbara and Tony begin to open fire on the biters.

I slowly approach the undead. I swing my right hand into the head of the first biter that I see. It goes down easier than I thought it would.

The group slowly makes its way through the crowd of monsters. I keep hacking away at any undead around me. We begin to make a circle inside the horde. Keaton is to my left slicing biter after biter. I see one approach to his far right. He doesn't notice it. I quickly run to him and take out the creature with ease. The claws gouge deep into the skull. I like this feeling. It worries me.

Keaton doesn't even realize that I just saved him. He just keeps decapitating more biters. After a few minutes of this, Tony and Barbara run out of ammo. Barbara pulls out a butchers knife. Tony also brings out an old, rusty hammer. I can see the buses just a half mile down the highway.

"Run for the treeline. We'll never make it through all of these things!" Tony shouts through all the moans of the undead. We make a beeline for the trees. The undead try to follow us but the trees are too thick and they're too clumsy.

We run through the forest until we reach the Charter bus parking lot. Zach heads for the tiny office of the facility. We're all on high alert as we watch for walkers. Zach comes rushing back with five sets of keys. He quickly distributes them to us.

I race toward the first bus in the row of ten. I check the vehicle for any undead before I begin to drive. The bus is clear. I hop into the drivers seat. I shove the keys into the ignition and start the engine. I put the bus in drive and slam my foot on the gas. The bus tears through the horde of undead like they're nothing.

The rest of the group follows me back to the farm. It only takes us a couple of minutes to reach the safehouse. I pull into the driveway. Amy and my mother come down from the roof to complete the next part of the plan. Clear all biters following us. We knew that the noise was going to attract a lot of them.

When I get a good distance away from the highway I park the bus next to the garage. I jump out and begin to help with the clearing of the walkers. It takes us an hour to clear all of the biters in the perimeter.

The four buses closest to the highway are moved into position at the edge of the driveway and along the fence. They make a good wall. I remove my gauntlets and put them in my bag before anyone sees. The group slowly begins to gather in the house.

"Today was a good day. A good start. But we'll need all of those buses if we want to protect more of the area," I remark. "Well I'm gonna need at least week to rest after all that excersice," Keaton says with a smile on his lips.

We disperse to our rooms. I take the first watch on top of one of the buses. I look across at the tiny neighborhood on the other side of the highway. I see three figures on horses coming toward the farm. I draw my bow and notch an arrow. For their sake, I hope they aren't like Dereck. If they are, they won't leave alive.