To the Edge and Back: Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A sharp pain in my temple awakens me from my slumber. I stubble to the door of gas station that we've holed ourselves up in for the night. The voice begins to break through into my mind like a radio. The pain starts to fade away when the voice talks.

"It's been a while hasn't it?" It says. "What do you want now?" I demand. I look back at the door to check and see that no one is watching me.

"I am about to tell you the real reason why I'm in your head. The reason why you can hear me and no one else can." The voice is silent for a second after it tells me this. "It's because I have a mission for you," It says.

"What kind of mission are you talking about?" I ask it. "A very important mission. This mission will decide the fate of this world, and others...." Other worlds? What could this voice be talking about?

"You must find the source of this disease and exterminate it. Destroy it, kill it, burn it I don't really care how you do it but just get it off this damn planet."

"Where is the source?" I ask it, "And what did you mean when you said 'other planets'?"

"On this planet it should be underneath what is called the Pyramids of Giza. You don't need to worry about anything other than that. At least for now. I've given you your mission, now go and do what I told you or your entire race perishes."

The voice slowly fades away until I'm faced with silence. I turn back around and go back into the building. The night is dark and quiet. I lie down next to Haven. I don't sleep a second that night.