26. Chasing Desire

Hey everyone... So I just wanted to let you all know how sorry I am about not updating for like, 7 months. It was never my intention to do this, but for the first three months I was super busy, and then I had no motivation for the rest of it. I just started school as well, so that's insane... Also, I lost my notes that had all my plans for this story, so pretty much the rest is just coming (back?) to me as I go.

I'm sure that I lost many readers throughout the long wait, which I'm fine with. I understand you might lose interest, but I really am so so sorry for the long wait. I actually really hate myself at the moment because I know what it's like to wait for so long you don't think the update will ever come.

So for those of you who stuck with me thus far, and have been patiently waiting, THANK YOU. I love you guys more than you know, and every vote and comment puts a smile on my face. Ya'll are the greatest.

Emma couldn't believe what she'd done.

For thirty minutes until now, she laid on her bed in The Golden Swan, her mind spinning.

Every pirate was in chains. They each had at least one guard to keep them down, and depending on their size and strength, multiple ones.

Emma couldn't stand to watch. Killian was tied down by at least six men. His hook was removed, his arms cuffed together, and then tied down again. He never made eye contact with her, and even if he did accidentally, it was a sneer that looked her way.

The past few days had been so rough for Emma, and so emotional, she had found that she had been ignoring August. Her childhood friend didn't seem to care, a newfound friendship between him and Porter had appeared, and she found that they quite enjoyed each other's company. Emma was glad, though, that he had found a friend other than her.

But in times of distress, she knew he would be there for her as he was now. Charming had recognized him quicker than she had, and welcomed him back with open arms. Though Emma wanted to be left alone in her cabin due to her misery, August had stopped by quickly. His arms made her feel safer even though her heart yearned to take back she had down to her second family.

August left within five minutes, kissing her cheek lightly. He had explained to Charming that he was only trying to protect Emma, and while it took some convincing that he hadn't done anything that was against the law, the soldiers and the king decided that he wouldn't be hung, as long as he was only watching out for the princess. There would be some charges against him, but Charming promised him he pay for them secretly.

August, in his elation, used his extra strength to help with work needing to be done onboard. The Jolly Roger  was in her father's control, and they needed someone who knew how to work on a ship, due to the shortage of men.

Emma's head throbbed thinking of all the ridiculous things that were happening, and even more so when she began thinking of what she was going to do about it.

A knock sounded on her door, and she sat up. Rubbing her tear-stained cheeks on her sleeve, she cleared her throat. "Come in."

Her dad walked in, a light smile on his face. Emma was furious that he would smile in this time of her distress, but found it wiser not to comment. "Did you need something?" She didn't mean for it to come out so angrily, but sometimes she found it difficult to mask her emotions.

Charming didn't even try to conceal his annoyance at her attitude. "Yes, actually. They found the prisoner..." Charming saw Emma's confusion, and wanted to hope that she didn't know about Charles' kidnapping, but disappointment hit when her faced cleared into a frown.

"Oh, yes, about him—" Emma realized that this was about to get even worse than it already is.

"You are to be wed." Charming said stiffly, without any emotion.