Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I pace the room, going mad with nervousness. Kelsey called me about an hour ago, telling me to come over to her house at nine o'clock, and texted me the address. I should leave soon if I want to beat LA traffic. I have never been this nervous to meet up with someone before, and I'm thoroughly freaked out. What if say the wrong thing? What if I do something really stupid and make a fool out of myself? My mind is going a mile a minute when I glance at the clock and realize I should leave. I text Kelsey, telling her I'm on way, and step outside into the cool evening air. I take a deep breath in, enjoying the beautiful night. I get into my car, entering Kelsey's address into the GPS, and drive off.

In seemingly no time at all, I arrive at Kelsey's house. Its in the middle of almost nowhere, surrounded by trees and bushes. Its a cute little house, white with red shudders. The grass is neatly cut, and summer flowers had bloomed near the porch and under trees.

No doubt, the outside is beautiful. But its the one who owns it that I'm most impressed. Kelsey comes to meet me at the door, looking stunning. Her hair is straightened to perfection, with seemingly floating. I just want to reach out and touch it, run my fingers through it. Her outfit of a light blue tank top and white short shorts show off her gorgeous eyes and even tan. She has a small nose piercing, which I never noticed before. It is a small, silver stud, much like mine. She has silver chain earrings, which dangle and get caught in her hair as she speaks, inviting me inside. I try not to gawk at her stunning appearance when she leads me in, showing me around the house.

As we walk through the entrance hallway into the living room, I notice the inside is just as neat as the outside. The walls are pale yellow, with a gray couch and yellow pillows. I smile; the room feels warm and welcoming.

Looking around, my eyes fall on a row of pictures sitting on a desk.

"Who are all these people?" I ask, still looking at the photos.

"My friends and sister." Kelsey says. I glance at her, wondering why there aren't pictures of her parents. The look in her eyes tell me I shouldn't ask. I look back at the pictures, and my eyes fall upon a picture of two identical twins, who must be Kelsey and her sister. The picture must have been taken a few years ago, because they are quite young. On of the girls is on the other's shoulders. The picture was taken when they were both laughing, making the picture look real instead of posed. Their hair was blowing back behind them, and their eyes sparkled. They were wearing the same outfit that day, and it's nearly impossible to tell them apart. I decide that Kelsey is on her sister's shoulders, because of something about they way she holds herself.

"What is her name?" I ask Kelsey, pointing to her twin in the picture. Kelsey looks at me like I've grown a second head.

"How did you know which one was me?" she asks, clearly shocked. I look her dead in the eyes.

"The way you hold yourself. You have clearly gone through something difficult, and the struggle shows in your eyes, even now. But you still hold your head high, you still have confidence in yourself. You should have seen your audition through my eyes, Kelsey. All I could think about was how amazing you were, and I couldn't get you out of my head the whole day." I wince when that slips out, but I continue anyway. "I don't know what happened in your past, but you have gotten stronger." she's quiet for a moment, just looking in my eyes. I hope I didn't say to much about it. I should have just said I guessed it was her in the picture.

"Olivia." she says finally.

"What?"

"My sister. Her name is Olivia. We're twins, obviously." she gives a soft laugh, and I smile. "That picture was taken the first day of our senior year. We were seventeen. We thought it would be funny to dress exactly the same, to see how many of our teachers would be confused." she laughs at the memory. "The only people who could tell us apart were our best friends. They laughed when they saw us walk in together, with matching backpacks, outfits, hair, and makeup. Of course, since they had known us forever, they knew I was Kelsey and she was Olivia. We had the same outfit, yes, but I wouldn't be caught dead with heels on. I wore black ankle-high converse, and Olivia wore black heels. Anyone who really knew us knew she loved heels and I loved converse. It was the only different thing about us." she explains.

"Where is she now?" I asked.

"Back in San Diego. When she graduated, she went to a community college, and I went to a small college here. The only difference is that our parents paid for her tuition, while I got a full ride. I think my parents were relieved they didn't to pay for me to go. They always liked Olivia better. It doesn't make sense, when we're basically the same person, that you can have a preference." she sighs, sitting on the couch.

How can someone not like you? I think to myself, sitting next to her. Especially her own parents?

"As soon as I graduated, my parents kicked me out. I had a week to pack up everything, say goodbye to everyone, find a way to get to LA, and find a place to stay." she says quietly. I can see tears forming in her eyes, and I take her hand. She looks up at me and smiles.

"Why would they kick you out?" I ask. A tear slips down her cheek.

"I...They...uh," she stutters. I squeeze her hand.

"They found out about my girlfriend, and they weren't happy. Words were said, things were thrown, and they kicked me out." she says quietly. She tries to laugh, but it comes out strangled and choked. I wrap my arms around her, and she cries into my chest. A tear slips from the corner of my eye, and it drips down my cheek. She sits up and wipes the tears from her face.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to let that all out on you." she says, her voice raw from crying.

"Its alright. Do you want to know something?" she nods. I lean in to whisper in her ear.

"Only two people in the world know I'm gay. Marissa, and you."