20|a u c t i o n

"Could you give me a second?" I smile before walking away.

I quickly walk- or do the best I can in these heels- and try to find someone I know which is not likely considering I barely know anyone in this business.

I shove past the crowd until someone steps into my path and I run into them.

"Sorry." I say and try to continue walking, but I'm stopped when a hand grips my arm.

"Josie, I haven't seen you in a while." A voice says behind me.

I slowly turn around and smile at the sight in front of me, "Its been like, a week." It's been a lot longer than that, but whatever.

"Well it feels like forever not seeing such a beauty." Nick smirks.

"Tell me about it." I sarcastically remark.

"So I see you missed me too." He straightens his tie.

"Did I say that?" I say and he laughs, "What's with this auction thing?" I question.

"It's like a one night stand, but for money. To kind of... inbreed companies."

"Ah, I got you. Well, it looks like I'm being hunted in this... company." I fold my arms over my chest.

"Where's your boyfriend." Nick asks.

"Who? Oh, him. I don't know, but he's not really my boyfriend if he only has me around to one-up his status in this so-called business." I roll my eyes and shift my body.

"What do you mean?" He leans against a pillar.

"I mean they're trying to auction me." I stress.

"What? Gage wouldn't let that happen." He exclaims.

"Clearly he would." I push my hair behind my shoulder.

"Nah, I think there's been a misunderstanding here. He wouldn't let anyone touch you." Nick shakes his head.

"How do you know?" I tilt my head.

"Cause I know him!" He scoffs, "You see this?" He points to the light bruise under his eye, "That was for kissing you that one night." Nick laughs. "That's how I know."

I purse my lips, "Why would he do that?"

"Because he- nevermind."

"I need a drink." I sigh.

"Let me get you one." He places a hand on my lower back before walking away.

I'm going to faint.

"Hey, Josie, Come with me." Tristan grabs my arm and I walk with him. "You remember me right?" He asks.

The sleek black suit compliments his tan skin and I see tattoos creeping under his sleeve.

"Yeah, Tristan right?" I say even though I remembered his name.

"That's my name." He smirks.

He pulls me out a chair at a circular table with a clean white table cloth draped over it.

I smile at him and smooth my dress over the back of my legs before sitting.

Tristan sits next to me and puts his arm over the back of my chair.

"Why don't you jerk off to someone else's girl, huh?" A familiar voice speaks.

Tristan and I turn around and Gage glares at him.

Tristan shakes his head and rolls his eyes before moving. Gage immediately sits down in the seat and lights a cigarette.

"Can you even do that in here?" I ask.

"Who's gonna tell me I can't?" He shrugs, "I like your hair." He smirks and fingers my long locks.

I decide not to question Gage about people trying to auction me because I believe what Nick said about him not knowing.

Not to mention he told me not to do anything with other guys so I'm sure Nick would feel his wrath. I probably would too.

"And here you are, princess." Nick suddenly comes into view and sets the glass down in front of me.

Gage sends Nick the deadliest glare and he only smirks.

"Tha-" I start to thank him before I'm interrupted by a man on a stage with a microphone.

"Silence! Cutting the bullshit, this auction will begin now. I know no one wants to hear a speech about the company and just want to get their face in some pussy tonight, so let's begin!" The obese middle-aged balding man says.

People laugh and I sneer.

I reach for my drink, but Gage moves it, "Don't drink that."

I roll my eyes and lean back.

"Don't leave my side tonight, alright?" He looks forward at the girls lined up on the stage, some of them crying- others were probably used to it. If I have this straight, these girls were probably kidnapped and brought here.

"Yeah, wouldn't want anyone to try to kidnap me for rape." I mutter.

Gage turns to look at me, "What?"

"I'm not an idiot." I whisper. The drugs, the prostitutes. This is like a gang or something.

"You know?"

"I know." I state.

"Then why are you still here?" He says after a few moments.

"I don't really have a choice," I remind him.

"If you did would you leave me?" His eyes search my face for a response.

"I don't know, but if I did, you probably have girls lined up waiting for you."

"I do." He says in matter-of-fact tone.

"Oh, and one guy." I snicker remembering Bret, "Me on the other hand, has more than just one."

Gage runs a hand through his hair and his chest slightly heaves.

Some guy on the stage speaks a mile a minute and people raise their signs.

My attention is caught by a guy at another table probably around Gage's age staring at me.

He has honey brown hair and I catch the sight of his twinkling green eyes.

My gaze flickers between him and the stage. Gage notices because he leans in front of me and plants a lingering kiss on my lips.

I open my eyes when he pulls back and the guy snaps his head away.

"Really?" I try not to smile.

"Really what?" He fakes his confusion and the corners of his mouth twitch as he glares at the guy.

"You're ridiculous." I say and he laughs before putting his arm around the back of my chair.