17: A hopeless hope.

"Twice I would die
for a little more once with you."

Illdera.

I woke up the next morning on one of the couches. I sat up and looked around. Some of the dwarves lay on the floor beside the couch. I started counting them to see who was missing. It was about the only way to keep track of all of them.

Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Ori, Nori, Dori, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin and...

I could not see Fili, Kili and Thorin anywhere. I stood up, careful not to wake the others. It was quite the mission to get over them without waking one of them up.

As I entered the alleyway , I heard voices. I walked closer, trying to identify who the voices belong to, but careful not to make noise. One voice was slightly familiar, but the other totally unknown.

"We have to work quicker," I recognised the first voice as the captain of the guards. He sounded anxious and even... scared.

"Why sir?" The second voice, slightly younger, asked.
"We're should be right on schedule."

"Because, you halfwit, having a half-wizard in town can mean a lot of trouble for us. Especialy now, when the master wants to abandon the town. It is said that wizards can smell traitors"

"Yes sir, of course sir."

The conversation broke off and their footsteps moved away in a hurry.

Traitors? Their conversation struck me as very odd indeed. And all that talk of the master wanting to abandon the town? But why?

I had to talk to Thorin about this.

I jogged back to the town house where we stayed. As I reached it, the dwarfs and a few other people trickled out. The dwarfs were dressed in travel clothes.

 The dwarfs were dressed in travel clothes

"Where have you been?" Fili asked me.

"Walking" I replied.

We all walked to the main outlet of the town. I changed into bird form and flew just above their heads. When we got there, the dwarfs started filling into the boat. I perched on the side of the one boat.

When Kili wanted to climb in, Thorin stopped him with a firm hand.

"Not you." Kili looked at him, surprised.

"We travel at speed you'll slow us down." Thorin continued.

"What you talking about? I'm coming with you." Kili said.

"No no." Thorin shook his head.

Kili's face fell, and his expression turned desperate.