2: No Ordinary Wolf

"If they come looking for me
tell them that, like the wolves,
I never could resist the moon,
nor the beauty of the stars."

Kili.

The wolf walked in, not even giving me a second glance, and went straight to Gandalf. To everyone's surprise, it spoke. Not with a wolf-like growl, but with a voice that sounded almost human. It was a woman's voice.

"Gandalf, I am sorry I took so long. The side trip took longer than expected," the wolf began.

It surveyed us, then turned back to Gandalf. Mr. Baggins looked utterly terrified. I shut the door.

"Where's the food? The rabbits around here aren't that satisfying," she said

"All in good time," Gandalf replied.

He saw us staring at the wolf and chuckled. "Where are my manners? Dwarves, Bilbo, allow me to introduce the last member of our company. Illdera."

The wolf did something like a bow and then continued to look us through one by one. When her eyes found me, they lingered for a moment, before looking at my brother.

Thorin looked like he was about to faint. I knew that wolves were not his favourite of animals. They reminded him too much of wargs. And wargs, he hated those things. Can't imagine why.

"Gandalf, we are not taking a wolf with us." Thorin growled.

The wolf, who was busy smelling the carpet for some reason only she knows, looked up and growled back at Thorin. She did not look happy. It was almost as if she was offended by being called a wolf. Gandalf cleared his throat and gave a pointed look at the wolf.

"That is no ordinary wolf, Thorin," I muttered.

The wolf looked at me, a playful smile on her lips "Thank goodness! One of you noticed," She said.

Bilbo came back with a bowl of meat and fed the she - wolf. As she munched away,we got down to business.

"What news from the meeting in Erid Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked.

"Aye," Thorin confirmed. "Envoys from all seven kingdoms.

"And what do the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?" Dwalin asked.

Thorin put down the spoon he was eating with and sighed. "They will not come," Thorin said. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

"You're going on a quest?" Bilbo asked.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow. Let us have a little more light," Gandalf said.

Bilbo nodded, leaving to get a candle.

"Far to the east, over ranges and rivers. Beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single, solitary peak." Gandalf took a map out of his pocket and set it on the table.