6 - True identities

"Let your mask fall, my dear.
Let them see the real you.
Let them look into your eyes,
and see the world they dream of."

Kili.

"He's got Myrtle and Minty! I think their going to eat them. We have to do something!" Bilbo said nervously.

Fili and I looked at him. Fili nodded.

"Yes, you should," I said. I took the bowls with our food, that he had been carrying all this time from him and continued.

"Mountain trolls are slow and stupid, and you're so small they'll never see you."

Bilbo tried to argue, but I cut him off again.

"It's perfectly safe. We'll be right behind you," I said.

"If you run into trouble, hoot twice like a barn owl and once like a brown owl," Fili said.

He pushed Bilbo forward and then we turned and ran around the trees, to a place where we could watch. There were three trolls in total. One looked a little younger than the other two. The trolls' backs were turned to us.

Suddenly the younger one pulled something from his back pocket. I thought it looked like a gaint handkerchief. On it was the little form of Bilbo Baggins.

He was covered in troll bogies, with a shocked and disgusted expression on his face.

I looked up. Above our heads a great snowy owl drifted on silent wings. It watched with keen eyes.

Beside me, I could hear Fili swearing under his breath.

"Blimey! Bert, Bert! Look what's come out of me 'ooter!" The troll holding Bilbo said. "It's got arms and legs and everything!"

"What is it?" Another troll asked.

"I don't know," the first one said. "But I don't like the way it wriggles around."

He threw Bilbo onto the ground. All the trolls closed in around him.

"What are you then? An oversized squirrel?" The biggest one asked.

"I'm a burglar - ah hobbit," Bilbo quickly said.

"A burglarhobbit?" The young one asked.

"Can we cook 'im?" Ugly 2 asked eagerly.

"We can try." Ugly 1 said and picked Bilbo up.

Bilbo was soon caught. I had had enough of this nonsense. I ran out of the bushes and sliced one of the trolls in his calf. Fili was right behind me.

"Drop him!" I shouted at the three trolls.

"You what?" Ugly 1 said

I swung my sword and replied, "I said, drop him."

At that moment all the other dwarves came bursting out of the woods, and rallied behind us.

The owl, that had been silent all this time, gave a dreadful cry and dove down. In mid-air it shimmered with a silver light and when it hit the ground, the owl was gone.

In it's place stood the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen. She looked about the same age as me. She had raven black hair, a sun kissed skin and eyes bluer than the sky.

She wore soft leather boots, light brown trousers and a loose fitting white shirt. The belt around her waist there hung a elven sword and across her back there was a bow and a golden brown  quiver full of arrows with blue and golden feathers.