(26)

I start to remember things. 

I remember my brother's name. I remember what he looks like.

I remember what happened to my parents. I remember their smiles.

I remember the night it all started. 

My dress. My hair. The music, the dancing, the whole night. 

I remember when I was taken. 

I remember when it was all taken away. In a single second.

It's all coming back to me.

And I just want it to go away.

<><><><>

I hear the sound of car tires on gravel, and I jump quickly off my bed, sprinting down the stairs and out the door, launching myself into my brothers arms.

"I'm sorry." I mumble quickly.

"No I am." He hugs back. "I didn't listen to you when you needed me, I was a jerk." I let go and smile.

"I'm sorry I've been acting like a bitch." I shrug. "This place isn't that bad."

"I'm so glad to hear that." He sighs, stroking my hair.

"Oh, shit." I turn around, to see Carter with a piece of toast in his mouth. "Bonding moment." He shuffles awkwardly. "I'm just gonna..."

"It's ok Carter." I giggle. "The bonding moment is over."

"Good." He sighs relieved. 

"Hey Nick." Keith grins, walking out onto the porch. "Glad to have you back." They disappear into the house, and I rush upstairs to get ready. Everybody has already left. I wanted to wait for Nick, and now I'm going to be late.

"Eva, I can give you a ride on my way into town. I've got work." Maddison smiles, as I race down the stairs.

"Thanks." I say gratefully. 

"Bye baby." Charlie says to Maddy at the door, kissing her forehead. "Don't let Dennings bully you."

I say goodbye to Nick, and hurry to Maddison's car.

"So." She smiles. "I'm glad that you and Nick made up. The whole time in the city he was worried about you."

"Sorry about that." I say.

"Don't worry about it." She shrugs. "He loves you."

"When is the baby due?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Two more months." She grins, rubbing her belly. "And he better come fast. He likes to kick so hard."

"Are you going to have time off work?" I ask concerned. Two months isn't long. And she works all day, on her feet.

"I'm talking to Dennings today." She says nervously. "I have to take the last month off, plus time after. He just needs to sign the papers."

"It's illegal not too." I muse.

"I know." She sighs. "He just won't like it."

Eventually we get to the school,and she pulls up at the gates.

"Have fun." I smile, getting out the car.

"I won't." She says cheerfully, pulling on her bright, fake blonde wig. "See ya later kiddo." She pulls away from the curb, and I manage to make it to my locker before the bell.

<><><><>

"Are you going to the branding?" I over hear in the hallway.

"Yeah, of course." 

"I can't wait for the branding."

"It's going to be sick."

"People really get excited for branding day, don't they?" I ask Alison, sliding into my seat, pulling out my bagged lunch.

"It's almost bigger than prom." She laughs, before frowning. "Almost."

"It definitely beats prom." Isaac says, earning a glare from Alison.

"Sorry dude." She shrugs. "Nothing is more important than prom."

"Speaking of prom." Isaac says, coughing slightly. "Do you know who Lilly is going with?"

"Sean Bunnings." Alison shrugs. "Stole him off Rhianna. The bitch."

"Ball politics again?" David groans, looking up from his math book. "Ali, I have a test after lunch. It's months away. Calm down."

"Weeks away." She corrects him sternly. "I've had my dress for five months. I'm still looking for flowers for my hair. And your suit."

"Even Lilly is taken?" Isaac sighs. "She was my back up."

"Better hurry up." Alison grins. "I know Saucy Sue is looking."

"Never happening." Isaac growls. "Ever." He looks at Hunter, who is absorbed in his book. "Who are you taking?" He looks up and shrugs.

"Harriet has asked me four times." He says. "I'm running out of excuses."

"You can't go with her!" Alison protests. "She will not ruin my group photos with her face. No!" 

"If you want us to have nice dates, you find us some!" Isaac argues.

"Fine." She grins. "I will. I love anything prom related." 

The bell rings, and we all head to class. I sit at the back of the room, looking forward to a lesson with just me and my headphones. The whole lesson goes by, as I work through the textbook, completely ignoring the substitute teacher.

The whole class goes by without any trouble. Why couldn't it last?

"I heard you were talking prom at lunch." I hear, as Noah grabs my arm, stopping me from leaving for my next class. Why is he always doing that? I inwardly groan. He just never leaves me alone in this class.

"Alison was." I point out. "I was not."

"Who are you going to go with?" He asks me, smirking. "Hunter?"

"I probably won't go." I murmur, wishing he would shut up. "Not my thing."

"My cousin wants to go with him." He says lowly. "I have no idea why, but don't get in her way. Harriet can be quite mean." 

"Whatever." I shrug. "Are you done?" 

"For now." He laughs. "Have fun being alone."

"Have fun being a dick." I snort. I ditch him, and head to music, wondering why idiots are allowed to breed.

<><><><>

I strum the chords to Another Day In Paradise, keeping it simple, playing back up. I'm using a school guitar, not wanting to play mine just yet. 

I'm a little out of practise. i don't think I've played a whole song in over a year. 

They asked if I would sing the harmony. I politely refused. 

"Ok." Dave sighs. "Everybody go home. It's drinking time." We pack up our stuff, and everyone starts to leave.

"Are you coming on Saturday?" I ask Chloe. 

"Unfortunately." She shrugs. "My Dad helps out. I spend the day with a book."

"You're the first person I met who isn't excited about it." I snort. 

"It's not that exciting." She shrugs. "See you later." She leaves.

"Hey Eva." Dave calls. "Tell Keith I'll come early to help him set up. But if he puts me on that damn Pickle again I'll have to something to say about it. I'm a man. Give me a stallion." I laugh, and agree, putting the guitar back in the cupboard.

"I'll let him know." I giggle.

"Thanks kid." He nods. "By the way. Nice sound."