(11)

Ignorant people interest me.

The more you argue with them, the more you realize that it's just not worth it.

Enjoy the chapter x

<><><><>

We walk into 'the grill', and I'm hit with the sound of Beatles music. This place is obviously based around old school rock. Posters on the walls, old juke box in the corner, records everywhere. Old wood tables, a pretty cheerful vibe. Emily waves us over, where everybody is sitting at a long table at the back.

"Hey guys." She says. "We've already ordered, Rick said you guys can just add on to it."

"Sweet." Hunter smiles. He gestures for me to follow him, and we walk up to the bar bench, where a man is behind it, wiping it down with a ratty old rag. The place is pretty empty, except for a couple.

"Hi guys." He grins at us. "You must be Eva." Word gets around.

"Yeah." I nod.

"What can I get you guys?" He asks.

"I'll have the usual Rick." Hunter says. "Thanks."

"What's good here?" I ask him.

"I get the grilled cheese for lunch." Hunter says. "It's so good."

"I'll have that too then." I tell Rick. "Thanks." Rick goes back to tell someone in the back, and we go back to our table.

"What do you think of the town guys?" Issac asks, as we sit down.

"It's gorgeous." Nick says next to me. "And friendly, you guys are really respected here." Keith chuckles.

"By those that matter." He says wisely. I frown, wondering what he meant by that, but didn't want to ask. They keep talking, as our food arrives. It actually looks so good. A grilled cheese is put in front of me, along with a root beer.

"Drinks are on the house Rick says." The waitress tells us. "To thank Keith for helping him with that disastrous crop fiasco." Keith waves his thanks to Rick over at the bar, and we all tuck in. I almost moan, this is good.

"Who cooks this?" I ask.

"Rick's brother Eric." Jackson says. "You'll find that a lot of these stores in this town are family  owned." Of course they are.

The doorbell chimes, and I look up to see a group of teenagers walking in. One of them looks up, and sees us at the table.

"Sup Jackson." He fist bumps him. "Hunter, everyone. Mr Samuels, Mrs Samuels."

"Hi Jamie darling." Emily smiles. "How has your Mom been?"

"She's great." He says. "She says she's going to drop in on you guys soon, she wants to steal your pumpkin pie recipe for a party."

"No problems honey." She says. "I'll give her a call."

"Hey man." Hunter says. "This is Eva, and her brother Nick. She's starting school with us tomorrow."

"Nice to meet you." He says to me. "I'm Jamie." He points to the group of people picking up takeaway bags at the bar. "We're in a rush, but we'll see you tomorrow at school."

"See ya dude." Jackson says. They leave the diner, bell chiming again.

"His poor Mother." Emily says, sipping her coffee.

"So ViVi is definitely giving up the salon?" Keith asks concerned.

"She's seriously thinking about it." She sighs. "Poor thing."

I can't say I'm not curious. But I don't really know these people. It's going to be awhile before I feel comfortable enough to join in on the group chat. If I'm here long enough.

<><><><>

I help Hunter load bags of fertilizer into the truck, already stuffed with wood panels. The other guys apparently went off with friends, so good luck to them when Emily finds out they're not fixing the fence.

"Why do you need so much fertilizer?"I ask. "There's like, twenty bags."

"Have you seen our ranch?" He laughs. "It's nearly 8000 acres. We need a lot of stuff for it."

"There doesn't seem to be enough people to run the place." I say.

"We work hard, and work well." He shrugs. "The ranch has been in our family for years."

"And aren't we all so fortunate for it." I whirl around, to see a smiling man in a suit, watching us from the footpath. I hear Hunter quietly sigh, and I wonder what's going on.

"Hi, Mr Dennings." He thinly smiles. "What can we do for you?"

"I just thought I would introduce myself to the other half of our new town members." He says brightly, walking his expensive shoes off the path and into the dirt, joining us near the truck. "You must be Eva."

"Yeah." I say, unwillingly taking his extended hand.

"I'm Gregory Dennings." He flashes his white teeth. "I run the towns committee board."

"That's... cool." I frown. Is that really how you introduce yourself?

"I actually just ran into your brother Nick with Keith." He continues. "Seems like a very nice boy. Why did you all move here?"

"Nick got a job on the ranch." Hunter answers for me.

"Right." He says. "Well. I have to get going. Eva, I hope you and Nick settle in well. I actually have a son in your year. I'm sure you'll meet tomorrow."

"Bye... Mr Dennings." I say. Hunter snorts as he walks back up the path, and gets in the car. I follow him, shutting the door as he starts the engine.

"Try not to get into a conversation with him alone." He advises me. "It won't end well."

"What was that all about?" I question.

"Gregory Dennings." Hunter laughs. "Practically owns half the town. A lot of land, and shops. Dennings pharmacy, Dennings shoes, Dennings fresh produce."

"Ok." I frown confused.

"But it's not them running it." He explains. "He bullies people. Eventually, they give in, and he buys their business, graciously letting them work there. He's also buying more and more land, his goal to turn this town into a cheesy tourist attraction."

"And that's bad?" I clear up.

"It's annoying." He says. "This place has this old beauty, that shouldn't be messed with. All the Dennings family members care about is money. He's been after my Father about our ranch for years."

"He would buy it?"

"He's been trying to." He sighs. "He wants to turn it into a tourist spot, like a bed and breakfast. Cheesy, tear down the land, put up a bar and restaurant. Get rid of the animals, but keep some of the 'pretty' horses."

"Keith wouldn't let that happen." I say.

"Of course not." He snorts. "It'll never happen. Gregory has just been trying every loophole he finds. Good luck to him."