(10)

I force myself out of the dream, waking up in a thick layer of sweat. They're becoming more frequent. And real.

I wipe the sweat off my forehead, tying my hair up. It's so damn hot here. I check my phone, to see that it's already nine in the morning. I wasn't woken up this morning. I swing my legs out of the bed, stretching. I'm in desperate need of a shower. I grab my towel, and my stuff, and head for the bathroom down the hall, thankfully not running into anyone.

I shake the last of the memories off underneath the rushing water, glad to be rid of that feeling of helplessness. It takes so much effort to wake up from my dreams lately.

I get dressed in whatever clothes I grabbed, who is there here to really dress up for? I hang up my towel, and go back to my room, stuffing my pockets with my phone and some money. Someone knocks on my door, and I look around, quickly stuffing the cigarettes under the pillow.

"Come in." I call out. The door opens, showing Camilla and Alyssa.

"Emily just wanted you to know you should come get some breakfast now." Camilla says.

"We're all heading into town in about fifteen minutes." Alyssa smiles.

"Ok." I smile briefly. I follow them both into the kitchen, where everyone is.

"Morning Eva." Emily says, handing me a glass of juice. "Eat fast. We don't have long."

"Family shopping trips are run almost like a military operation here." Keith chuckles, putting down his newspaper.

"Well, it's needed." Emily smiles, putting Beth's shoes on. "Luke, Carter and the twins need new shoes, Ollie wants to spend his birthday money on more books, Beth and I are going grocery shopping, and Jackson, David and Issac if you don't go get that wood and fix our fence by the end of today you'll be in for an ass whooping."

"You said a bad word." Beth says solemnly, wide eyed.

"Sorry honey." Emily chuckles. "A whooping on their bottoms."

"I guess that leaves me with an empty house and a T.V remote." Keith smiles, stretching.

"Don't even think about it." Emily snorts. "You're taking Nick to to go see the mechanic in town, and then on your way back you have to talk to the neighbors about their lost cattle. And I've made some meals up for Uncle Merle, drop those off when you go to."

"Honey, no." Keith groans. "Let the poor boy go at least a week before he has to meet Uncle Merle."

"That is my uncle you're talking about." She says sharply, whacking the back of his head with his newspaper. "He may be old and cranky, but he is family."

"You forgot drunk." Ollie snorts.

"You shut it." Emily warns.

"What's Hunter doing?" Keith says quickly. "Can he do it?"

"Hunter has agreed to take Eva school shopping, he knows what she needs, they're in the same year." Emily explains. Hunter gives me a friendly smile from across the table, and I hold back an eye roll.

"Can't you drop in on the way back?" Keith begs. "Hon, he hates me."

"No." She says simply.

"Why?" He asks.

"Because he's old, drunk and cranky and you love me." She teases. Keith sighs, downing his juice.

"Ok." He says standing. "You heard her folks. Let's move it out. Where's my hat?" He plucks his white cowboy hat off Alyssa's head, and puts it on his own, heading out the door.