(19)

"Save some food for me!" Charlie protests, snatching a pancake off Isaac's plate.

"I'm hungry." Isaac groans. "I have to work in town today."

I look on, mildly disgusted at all the boys, and even the girls stuffing there faces with food. So, so much food. 

"You're taking it all!" Jackson whines desperately, trying to save some bacon.

"I was outside until ten last night digging a ditch." Ollie snorts. "I need food. I need fuel. I'm a man."

"You don't even have facial hair yet." Hunter laughs. "And you're not the only one, we've all been working."

It's true. For the last week, everyone has been working really hard on this ranch, practically physical labour, getting ready for whatever this 'branding' is. I thought that as it's a Saturday, they might relax a little. Everyone at school is even talking about, practically everyone who lives out here gets involved.

"Is there anymore pancakes Mom?" Luke asks desperately. 

"Take mine." I say, pushing my full plate of food into the middle of the table, and quickly retracting my hands as it's attacked. 

"I need to go shopping." Emily sighs. "You're going to eat us out of house and home." 

"We need to get ready for the cook up." Keith says, draining his coffee. "After the branding we're going to have practically half the town here for tea."

"We have the bonfire sorted Mom." Hunter says. "We were just going to barbecue."

"I will buy you meat for it." Emily says. "If you ask nicely Mr Green might give you a pig for a cheap price." A whole pig? "And whatever salads and leftovers from the branding fry up you can have."

"What do you need done today Dad?" Jackson asks. 

"I want all that junk in the coral cleared out." Keith says. "I let you keep it there for the bonfire, but now that it's a week away, we need it ready."

"Ok." Ollie sighs, stretching. "But that means I get the last piece of bacon!" His arm shoots out and grabs it, running out the room before anyone can protest, costly followed by Carter and Luke.

"I'm going to take the twins and Beth to the market." Emily says, taking off her apron. "Do you mind staying here Eva?" She asks. "They could use the manpower." I nod, shrugging. Why not? The kitchen soon clears out, leaving the older boys and me.

"And Jackson." Keith says seriously, tying up his boots. "That fence better get finished today or your Mother will lose her nut."

"Got it." He groans. "I'll do it." Keith leaves with Luke and Carter, off to do some gardening.

"If I go in the truck, you guys should follow on some horses." Charlie says. "We're pretty low on engines at the moment."

"Working on it." Nick says, heading out the door. I see him heading towards the mechanics shed, and I sigh. Sure. Leave me with them again. Seems like all you've been doing lately.

"Time to get you on a horse." Hunter's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

"No way." 

<><><><>

"I don't like this, I really don't." I cry, as Jackson holds my hand, trying to make me pat the black horse in front of me.

"It's perfectly fine." He assures. "Pickle is the tamest horse we have, he wouldn't hurt a fly."

"You don't know what he could do.' I spit. "Horses are dangerous."

"Eva." Hunter says, sliding off his own horse Annabelle. "I will tie our horses together, so even if Pickle does get out of control-which he won't- I will be with you and can stop it."