Chapter 5

Demi POV

I looked back at Max who was sleeping In her car seat. It was so cute. She looked kinda like a 6-year-old, but she's 12, she's just so small and innocent. She seems so very shy though, some kids are just shy but it's a different type of shy.

Honestly, I hope she doesn't have or develop social anxiety, she doesn't deserve that, no kid does. She's so sweet and I absolutely love her, so if anyone messes with my Max, I will go ape shit.

As we pulled into the driveway, Max was still sleeping peacefully. I didn't bother waking her, I just unstrapped her and cradled her in one of my arms.

I mean, it could simply be genetics, but I saw a picture of her parents at some pumpkin patch with Max, they looked like they could have been average height. So I've somewhat come to the conclusion that something could be up medically, but as long as she is healthy, I probably shouldn't obsessively worry about it. I might take her to the doctor though, just to be safe.

I carried Max to my room and set her bag down on the floor.

I kissed her forehead, "goodnight, hun." I went to get up, but she wrapped her arms around one of mine, awe, how cute. I gently pried her arms of mine so that I could go get changed, then I could lay down with her again.

I'd put on my pajamas and was brushing my teeth when I heard max whimpering. I quickly spit into the sink and hurried over to her.

Learning from my previous experience with the nightmare that Max had, I cradled her in my arms and shook her very lightly, "Max, Max baby girl, wakeup. It's just a dream, wake up, Maxie" After a couple more minutes of me pleading for the sobbing Max in my arms to wake up, she did.

A look of relief washed over her face but there were fear and worry in her eyes. She wrapped herself in my embrace and cried into my shoulder. I held onto her tight and tried to comfort her.

"Shhhh... baby, I'm right here. Calm down, it's going to be okay." Her heart sped up and her breathing went all over the place.

"Hey... babygirl.. look at me" She shook her head and clung to me tighter.

"Baby... Shh, slow down, copy my breathing." I felt her breathing slow down and her sobs become quieter.

"That's it baby girl, you're okay." Her breathing steadied out and I held her at arm's length, well attempted to. She immediately clung back to me, not wanting to let go.

I wasn't going to force her, but I did want her to eventually go back to sleep, she needs the rest. I know I wouldn't want to go back to sleep right after a nightmare, so I'll stay up with her and watch a movie or something.

Max POV

The demons just wouldn't stop tormenting me, threatening to take Demi away from me. She tried to hold me at arm's length, but I held on tight. I don't want them to take her from me, she's all I have.

"Baby girl, do you wanna watch a movie?" I nodded.

"Anything in particular?" I shook my head. She stood up with me still In her arms, I held on tight.

"You're g-gonna drop me." She giggled a little then squeezed me tight.

"I won't drop you, you're light."

I laughed to myself "I wish." I mumbled, hoping Demi didn't hear me. I don't think that she did. She carried me downstairs, setting me on the sofa.

"I'm gonna get something to drink, do you want anything?" I shook my head then jumped up, clinging to her arm.

"C-can I come w-with you, mommy?" Omg. Did I just call demi mommy?! I hope she doesn't hate me...

"Of course, baby girl." I held her hand and walked into the kitchen. Her house is huge; I'm gonna get lost. My demons started screaming at me. I wanted to say something but I got nervous, I guess she noticed. Mommy bent down to my level, "It's okay, baby girl, you can say it"