Chapter 4

Demi

I glanced up again, noticing she was whimpering in her sleep as I pulled into the parking lot. She must be having a bad dream. I opened the door to the back and shook her softly causing her to start crying.

I picked her up and shook her gently in my arms. "Hey, Max, wake up." She opened her eyes then started full on sobbing in my arms. I held onto her tight, allowing her to cry into my shoulder. 

"Shhh it's okay darling, it was just a dream..." With that, she stopped crying and her breathing steadied.

I sat her down in the car and wiped her tear stains with my sleeve and picked her back up. She clung to me, it was so cute but I felt bad for her. I shut the car door and made my way into the store. 

Once inside, I approached one of the workers, she smiled politely, "Good evening, ma'am. What may I help you with?"

"I was wondering what type of car seat would be best for my little Maxie" I ruffled her hair. 

"Heyyyyyyy," Max said laughing a little, "I'm not little." Max whinned in a sarcastic way, making the worker laugh. 

"Do you wanna walk, sweetie?" I asked her, not because she's heavy, because she isn't, but because I want her to walk around and help pick out her car seat.

She nodded and I set her down. The worker led us to some car seats. 

"I suggest a convertible one with a removable back on it so that when she outgrows it you can simply remove the back and it will just be the booster portion." She showed me an example of one with flowers on it, but it was all different shades of pink. 

"I'm not a baby" Max pouted, it was absolutely adorable.

"How old are you then?" The worker said jokingly, bending down to Max's level. 

Max moved closer to me, "I'm twelve, t-w-e-l-v-e." 

The worker looked taken aback, "But you're so little and cute." 

I don't think that Max knew that I heard her, but she mumbled, "I'm nowhere close to little or cute." Then looked down shamefully.

It really concerned me, to be honest. She started moping around all dreary, so I rubbed her shoulder, then I heard her sniffle, awe...my baby is crying. 

"Um, thank you for showing us these, I think we've got it from here." 

"Okay." The worker said and cheerfully walked away.

I crouched down to Max's level. 

"Maxie, what's wrong?" She shook her head, but I knew something was bothering her. I wiped her tears away, "I wanna see you smile, cutie. I don't want you to be upset." 

She smiled but there was hurt in her eyes. I wish I could help her but it feels way too soon for me to push questions on her.

I just really want to help her. I was walking through the aisles and saw a car seat with a back that was black with red dots, she pointed at it. 

"That one.. please?" She pleaded. 

"Of course, kiddo." I got the seat down and went to check out. Afterwards, we walked to the car to put her in the seat.

Max

"Can I help?" I asked. I really don't need a car seat, I'm fat, how am I even supposed to fit in that?! 

"Sure thing, Maxie." Demi said, showing me how to put the seat belt through the back of the seat, and I did as I was told then Demi said, "Okay, all set, baby girl, now you can get in." I froze, I can't fit in that, it's for tiny little kids. I'm huge, I'll never fit in there,

"I..I can't fit in that.." I said nervous about what she'd say. 

"Of course you will, that's why you need one." ME?! .. small enough to need a car seat?! Please... 

I put on a smile for Demi. 

 "Otay." I hope she couldn't tell it was fake. 

"Want you to help you?" I nodded.

She lifted me up, accidentally elbowing my arm, I cringed, I don't think she noticed though. "Sorry, hun." Damnit, she noticed. "It's okay, It's was just a bruise." She buckled me in and made sure I was secure. 

As we started on the long drive home I felt my eyes getting heavy and I drifted off into a deep sleep.