Part 12

I opened my door and walked to Gambit's room, which was now closed. I looked around the hall to see if anyone was watching and slipped the note under his door. I then teleported myself outside the gates of the Institute and taking one last look at my home, I ran down to the town until I came to the warehouse.

I opened the door and went inside. The warehouse was cold and dark. I closed the door behind me, and walked to the center of the room. I looked around and noticed something rolling towards me. I bent down and picked it up wondering if someone had dropped it. I turned it over and noticed it had a small button on one of the sides.

I inched my finger closer to the button and finally, pressed it. The object clicked and suddenly, I saw gas shoot out. I dropped the sphere and covered my mouth and nose so I would not inhale the gas. But the gas seeped its way through my fingers and I began to smell a sweet fragrant. It almost smelled like perfume, but it seemed stronger.

I suddenly felt dizziness come over me. I struggled to stay awake, but I soon collapsed onto the floor. As my eyes began to close, I noticed a dark figure standing in the shadows with red eyes, glaring at me.

"Gambit?" I whispered weakly just before the gas completely took over me.

I don't know how long I was asleep for but when I woke up, I found myself in a strange lab. When I tried to move my arms, I found that I could not move them an inch. I stared at my wrists and saw that they were chained against a wall. I looked down at my legs and saw that they too were chained to the wall.

I struggled to break them, but had no success. I looked up and noticed the red eyes that I had seen before I passed out. I gasped as the figure to whom they belonged stepped out of the shadows. It was Sinister.

"Ah," he said. "I see you are awake. I must tell you that the power removal went very well."

I stared at him and asked him, "You said that you would also remove my memories, but I still remember everything that has happened to me in the past since my powers emerged."

Sinister laughed and said, "Ah, that is because I never removed them."

"What!" I cried.

"I wanted you to remember your decision for the rest of your life. Everything you gave up, just so you could be normal. All I really wanted was your powers. You are one of the most powerful mutants in the world."

As he left the room, he laughed. When he was gone, I closed my eyes and began to cry. I suddenly realized something from the day Gambit took me to Louisiana. When we were at the bayou, he accidentally touched me. I then realized that he had feelings for me. I was so mad at him then I could not see what his heart was saying.

I then thought back to the day before, when I touched him in the infirmary. I was so frustrated with myself that I did not even realize he still cared about me. I could not believe how blind I had been. Everything Gambit did for me, was because he cared.

I was mad with myself for being so foolish and selfish. I then remembered the time I absorbed Juggernaut's powers. Drying my tears, I tried to summon that strength once more and it worked! I was able to break my chains off the wall and seemed to regain my powers.

I looked up and saw Sinister standing in the doorway, with a look of shock on his face.

"How did you escape?" he asked puzzled. "Your powers have been taken away from you."

"That's the one thing you don't know about my powers," I said, coldly to him. "My powers can't be taken away. The Professor once told me that my powers could never be taken away, even if it was something I really, truly wanted, and I let that slip my mind. Knowing I have friends and family to stand by me is the best thing that has happened since my powers emerged."

Sinister seemed startled by this and exited back through the door. I followed him through the door and found myself back into the original warehouse. The room was now fully lit up and I could see Sinister standing across the room.

I suddenly heard the low roar of a motorcycle. It seemed to be very distant, but my guess was that Logan's power of enhanced hearing helped me hear it approaching. I looked at Sinister and he returned my glance with an evil look.

"Even with your powers," he said. "You could never defeat me."

"I probably can't," I said. "But I sure can try!"

My wrists were still in chains, so I took the long strands and threw them towards Sinister. I knew they couldn't get far, so I used Jean's powers to help the chains move farther. Using her powers, I was able to wrap Sinister up in the chains. But he easily broke them, causing the chains to shatter and fly over the warehouse.

As I tried to protect myself with my arms from the flying chain parts, I heard the approaching motorcycle stop just outside the warehouse doors.