Part 6

I stared at my hands. Coming straight out of my knuckles were a set of adamantium claws. I gasped in disbelief. I backed up, as if I was trying to get away from my hands. I closed my eyes and ended up fainting.

Minutes later, my eyes opened again. I was sitting on the couch, and sitting next to me was Gambit. He looked at me with concern.

"Are you alright, Cherie?" he asked.

I shook my head. I did not know. I looked at my hands and saw that the claws were no longer there. Gambit said he would get Logan and the Professor. I stared at my hands and nodded. I was terrified about what was happening to me. I needed help to understand what was going on. What everything meant.

Gambit stood up and went to get them. I stayed, my head in my hands. A minute later, Logan came rushing into the room, followed by Xavier. Gambit had gone back to bed. Logan had sat down next to me, while the Professor sat in front of me.

"Rogue," he said. "Are you alright?"

I looked up at him. I shook my head as tears rolled down my checks.

"I don't know," I said, weakly. "I've been having strange and frightening dreams and when Gambit startled me, claws shot out of my hands."

Logan looked at the Professor in concern. The Professor then sighed.

"I believe that when Logan gave you his healing factor," the Professor said, "he also gave you his powers and memories. That is why these things have been happening. Do you want to explain the dreams."

When I had told the other two dreams I had had, the room fell silent. Soon, the Professor spoke up.

"Why don't you go back to bed, Rogue," he said.

I stood up and left the room. But I did not go straight to my room. I hid in the doorway. I wanted to listen to what the Professor and Logan were going to talk about.

"What do you suppose we do, Charles?" Logan asked.

"I do not know," he replied to Logan.

"I never meant for any of this to happen," I heard Logan say. "Never my powers or my memories. She might not be able to handle them. Sometimes I can't."

Xavier told him everything would be alright. I decided to go back to my room and try to go back to sleep. I was able to fall asleep again and slept through the rest of the night, peacefully.

The next morning, I found myself being awoken by Kitty.

"Rogue wake up," she said. "We are leaving today."

I got out of bed and got ready. When I came into the kitchen, Jean was making pancakes and Professor X. was on the phone.

"Storm will be here soon to pick us up in the Black Bird," he said. "We will load the vehicles in and leave before lunch."

When breakfast ended, we went to our rooms to pack. I finished packing before anyone else, so I brought my luggage to the front porch. The Black Bird had not arrived yet, so I went to go and say goodbye to Stripes. I entered the barn and walked to her stall. She looked up at me and had a look of sadness in her eyes.

I stroked her mane and told her I was leaving. Stripes seemed to understand. I turned around to leave and used Kurt's powers to teleport out of the barn and onto the porch. Storm had arrived with the Black Bird and people were loading luggage. I claimed a seat in the far back of the plane, and buckled in. When everyone was in, we lifted off and went back home.

When we arrived at the Institute, every took their stuff and went inside. Professor X. wanted to run a training session to get us back into the routine. Logan lead the session. He took us outside for our obstacle course. When everyone was ready and accounted for, Logan started the course. We ran through the course and dodged many obstacles.

My powers really don't provide defense for me, so I ended up being behind everyone. I looked up and saw them cheering for me at the finish line. Suddenly, I could hear the clanking of metal. I turned around and saw a cannon raising from the ground. Suddenly, my hands began to hurt. The cannon shot sharp blades and I tried to block my face with my arms, but something took over me.

The next thing I know, the blades fell to the ground in pieces. I looked at my hands and saw that claws had popped out of my hands. The course was silent. Logan had stopped the session. My team ran towards me. Everyone was asking if I was alright and what was happening. My head began to hurt like crazy and I couldn't take it. I began to pass out and collapsed into Scott's arms.

I don't know how long I was out, but I found myself in the Institute's infirmary. Logan was sitting beside my bed and everyone else was waiting outside. I could hear the Professor's wheelchair enter the room. I sat up and smiled at him.

"Glad to see your up, Rogue," he said to me. He then turned to Logan. "Would you mind asking the other students to leave, Logan?"

When Logan had done this, he came back in and leaned on a nearby table.

"Rogue," the Professor started. "There is something we should tell you. When Logan saved your life, giving you his healing factor, memory, and powers, we thought it would be for a brief time. But as you saw in your train session, they have seemed to stay longer than expected."

Logan the spoke up and said, "We took some x-rays and found something."

He walked to the tv in the room and turned the screen on. There, I saw my skeleton. Everything seemed to be perfect, until I looked at my hands.

"We have figured out why you have managed to keep Logan's powers longer than anyone else, Rogue," Professor Xavier said. "The claws seemed to have merged with your bones."

The room fell silent.

"So, what you're saying is," I said, looking at my hands. "Is that I will have permanent claws like Logan."

"That seems to be the case," Xavier said.

I did not say a word and laid down. I turned away from Logan and the Professor.

"If you need anything, Rogue." The Professor said. "Just let me know."

Then, I heard the door close and I was left alone.