Part 1

It was a rough school year and Professor X wanted us to relax. So he thought it would be a good idea for us to get away during the summer. Away from the chaos and the villains. He wanted us to have a relaxing vacation, with no powers. So he sent us to a ranch, for an entire two weeks. Most of us thought it would be a rotten vacation, but a few thought it would be a great chance to get away. Manly Logan.

Oh, I almost forgot. My name is Rogue. I'm a mutant at the Xavier School For Gifted Youngsters. I have the power to absorb people's memories, life forces, and powers just through skin-to-skin contact. Anyway, I was not excited about this trip. Being out in the wilderness for two weeks was not my idea of fun.

But that didn't stop Logan. He had everyone pack immanently for the trip. When we had finished packing, he had us pile into the X-van. Only five of us could fit in there, so Scott had to bring his car. Ororo and Mr. McCoy stayed back to keep the Professor company.

I should probably explain who is going on this trip. Jean Grey, Scott Summers, Logan, Evan Daniels, Kitty Pryde, my brother Kurt Wagner, Bobby Drake, and Scott's brother, Alex Masters, and of course, me. Each of us have a special power of some kind make us each special and different from the rest of the world.

Jean is a telepath. She can read people's minds and move things with her own mind. Scott shots optic blasts from his eyes, causing him to have to wear a special pair of shades that the professor gave him, calling himself Cyclops. Evan has a self-replicating exoskeleton and can project spikes and he calls himself Spyke. Kitty, who calls herself Shadowcat, can phase through walls and other objects. Kurt can teleport from place to place. He also looks like a fuzzy, blue elf with a tail, calling himself Nightcrawler, but he wears an image inducer to hide his real self from the world. Bobby has ice powers, making him look like a walking ice sculpture making him Iceman. Alex has powers kinda like his brother, but he can control them. He can shoot energy blasts from his hands. And Logan has heightened senses, healing factor, adamantium skeleton (some kinda unbreakable metal) and claws, calling himself Wolverine.

We arrived at the ranch by the end of the day. The house was small, but could fit our group of nine. It even had a barn which I assumed held animals. Looking around at the landscape made my heart sink. The land was flat, had no grass growing, and seemed to stretch for miles. We went inside to unpack. When I saw my room, I noticed I was sharing a room. I ended up having to share a room with Jean and Kitty. Not my favorite people in the universe.

Later, we all went to the kitchen to have a delicious prepared for us by Jean. She had made baked potatoes and corn for everyone. By the time dinner was over, everything was gone. Scott had offered to help with dishes.

The rest of us followed Logan outside to the barn. Inside, we found some cows and a handful of horses. We were free to look around and make ourselves acquainted with the place. While the boys went up to check the upper deck, Kitty and I decided to look at the horses. There were so many beautiful horses. Kitty had found a stallion who was a buttercups color.

I kept walking down the line of horses while Kitty groomed the one she had found and grown to like. In the last stall, I saw a wonderful horse. She was a solid brown color but her main had a streak of white. As I stepped towards her, she lifted her head and looked at me. I looked down and adjusted my gloves. Then, slowly, I walked up to the horse and stroked her nose.

As I was doing this, Logan came up to me.

"You to seem to get along real well," he said.

I nodded in agreement. Then and there, I decided to call her Stripes. Her main reminded me of my own hair and people call me 'Stripes' due to it. So it was the perfect name to call her.

Logan then turned and told everyone it was time to go back to the house and get ready for bed. I waved goodbye to Stripes and followed the others back to the house.

The next morning, I woke up early. I decided to wear a pair of skinny jeans and a dark green flannel shirt. I wrote a note to Logan and placed it on the fridge. I told him that I was going out with Stripes and was going to be back later that day. I raced to the barn and flung open the door. When I came to Stripes stall, she looked up at me with bright and excited eyes. I grabbed her saddle and got her ready for our ride. I then led her to the door, hopped on, and we rode off.

We had been riding for a long time but stopped when we saw a trough in the distance. I hopped off Stripes and led her over to get a drink. As she began to drink, I pulled out some apples for us to eat. I gave two to Stripes and I ate the last one.

Suddenly, I heard an explosion. Looking to my left, I saw smoke coming from a canyon.

"I'm going to let you rest," I said to Stripes, who also looked at the smoke. "If I'm not back soon, go get help."

The look in her eyes told me she understood, so I ran off towards the rising smoke.

I had stopped running when I had approached the canyon. I slowly walked up to the edge and looked over. From the looks of things, there was no fire, just smoke. I tried to see what had caused the smoke, but couldn't see anything. I took another step to see more clearly, but the section of rock beneath my feet had loosened from its spot in the ground. Before I could move away, I fell into the 30 foot high canyon with pounds of rock plummeting after me.