Part 5

My eyes opened slowly. Looking around, I recognized my room at the ranch. I was laying in my bed and no one else was around. My head was hurting like crazy and my bones were sore. I tried to sit up but that led to more pain, so I laid back down. I suddenly heard a knock at the door.

"Come in," I said. My voice felt stronger now.

The door opened and the Professor and Gambit walked into the room. Both smiled at me. I sat up slowly. I expected pain, but I felt none. In a matter of minutes, the pain had disappeared.

"Glad to see your awake, Cherie," Gambit said.

"Indeed," Xavier said. "It was a rough night for you, Rogue. Mystique got away before we brought you inside, but we didn't worry about her."

"Before we went inside," Gambit said. "We removed your gloves and Logan grabbed your hand. His healing factor was able to save your life."

"Due to his healing factor," the Professor said. "Your wounds have healed incredibly fast and you seem to be back to your normal self."

Gambit took my hand and helped me to my feet. I was still a little shaky, but with his help, we were able to join the others for dinner. The Professor took the head of the table, I took a seat next to Logan, and Gambit next to me. We enjoyed a nice meal of pasta and garlic bread.

After dinner, I decided to get some fresh air. I went outside, walked a ways, then laid on the ground. I stared up at the stars for a long time. Before long, I began to become tired so I decided to turn in for the night, but I began to have a nightmare.

A man was in a dark lab suspended in a tank of green fluid. He wakes up, and shoots out claws and slices his way out of the tank. He seems confused at first, but he manages to make his escapes into the woods. He didn't walk with much confidence and swayed side-to-side as he walked. In front of him, he sees a man in dark clothing. Then, suddenly, he was attacked from behind.

I woke up, put my hands to my head, and screamed. My scream startled my roommates, causing Kitty phased through the top bunk and landed on Jean. That apparently didn't bother either of them, because they both rushed to my side. We then heard a knock at our door.

"Is everyone alright?" It was the Professor.

The Professor entered the room and asked again if we were all okay.

"We are fine, Professor," Jean reported. "But I'm not sure Rogue is."

The Professor asked me if I was okay. I was shaky and frightened. I couldn't think straight, or even speak. Professor Xavier asked Jean and Kitty to bring me to the kitchen. Everyone had gathered there, wondering what the fuss was about.

"Rogue had a freaky dream," Kitty said. "Caused me to phase right through the bunk!"

Gambit put his arm around me, asking if I could describe the dream. When I finally found my voice, I told about my dream in full detail. Once I was done, the room became dead silent. Everyone had a look of surprise on their face. That is except for Logan and Professor X. They seemed terrified by this.

"Why don't you all go back to bed," the Professor suggested.

We all got up from the table started towards our rooms. Gambit told me everything was going to be okay. I wasn't too sure. The looks on the Professor and Logan's faces made feel like something else was going on. But I took the Professor's advice and went back to bed.

I hoped the rest of the night would be uneventful. But that wish was far from granted. After I had gone back to bed with everyone else, I began to have another dream. This one seemed to be during a war.

There were two men. One dressed as a soldier, one looked like he was dressed in the American flag and carried a shield. They broke into a prison and saved many innocent people, including some children. When the people were cleared from the prison, the rescuers stayed behind. The man dressed as the flag collapsed into the others arms as if he was in pain or dying. I woke up in distress.

"That poor man," I whispered to myself.

I put my head pack on my pillow and went back to sleep. But another dream slipped its way into my mind. There were two men. The taller one had a suit of armor on, and the shorter just wore a Japanese outfit. They both pulled out sword and began to duel. In a matter of minutes, the taller had knock the sword of his opponents hands. The man in armor charged at his knocked down rival. He jumped into the air and got ready to destroy his opponent.

I was startled by this and woke up. I did not scream, for everyone else was asleep and I did not want to wake them again. I tried going back to bed, but I found I could not fall asleep. So, I carefully got out of bed, and went into the kitchen for a glass of water. I sat down at the table and put my face in my hand. Then, I began to cry. I was scared about what was happening to me.

Suddenly, I felt a hand touch my shoulder. It was followed by a voice.

"Cherie?" it asked. "You okay?"

I was so startled that I jumped up and turned around. As I did this, I felt a shooting pain through my hands. I then took a deep breath, because Gambit was standing in front of me. He backed away from me and stared at me.

"Gambit," I said. "What are you doing up?"

"I heard a noise coming from in here so I decided to check it out," he said, still staring.

I was confused by his expression and asked what was wrong. Suddenly I felt another wave of pain through my hands. I lifted them so I could see them and stared. Coming straight out of my hands, were a set of claws.