Part 10

Almost two weeks after the Magneto encounter, Gambit wanted to take me to the mall. We arrived at lunch and got some food. As we ate, we discussed the things that have happened over the last few weeks. The fight with Mystique, me getting my claws, Magneto capturing most of the X-men plus Emma and Elizabeth, and the two girls joining the X-men. So much had happened.

When we finished eating we walked around some more and did a bit of shopping. We bought many things for our friends and were heading towards the exit. But suddenly we heard sirens wailing. I turned and saw a man running out of a store.

"Someone stop that man!" the owner of the shop shouted.

I looked at Gambit and he nodded. We ran after the man, who had entered the food court. He looked behind him to see if he was being followed but saw us chasing him. As we drew nearer, the thief knocked over some tables to try and stop us. But that hardly worked.

We jumped over them with ease and kept on our pursuit. He reached the doors and ran into the parking lot. When Gambit and I got to the door, we split up and searched for the thief. I walked down one row of cars, while Gambit took another one.

I slowly walked down the row, making sure not to miss anything. I stood up straight when I suddenly heard a gunshot. It seemed to be coming from where Gambit was. I jumped over car hoods trying to get to him. When I saw him, I stopped and gasped. He was on the his knees, holding his shoulder and looked to be in pain. I saw the thief holding a gun pointed towards him.

I ran towards Gambit and knelt beside him. Now I was angry. I stared at the man, who just stood where he was. Using Magneto's powers, I took the gun from his hands and tossed it far away. The man was startled and stared at me, bewildered. He began to back away, getting ready to run.

He did not get far because just before he took off, police arrived. I looked up from Gambit as they arrested the thief. One of the officers looked at me and Gambit and saw that he was wounded. He came over to us and asked her we wanted an ambulance.

"That's alright, officer," I said politely, trying to hide my fear. "We have a friend who is a doctor. He doesn't live too far from here."

The officer nodded, understandingly and walked away. I sighed as I lifted Gambit up and carried him behind a car. Making sure no one saw us, I teleported us to the mansion. When we arrived I hurried Gambit to the infirmary. Seeing Kurt in the hall, I asked him to find Beast and send him down to the infirmary to meet us there. He nodded and 'ported away.

When I got to the infirmary, I helped Gambit sit on the bed. I sat next to him, my arms around him. He still grasped his shoulder, for it bled a great deal. A moment later, Beast came walking into the room.

"What happened?" he asked, examining Gambit's wound.

I explained what had happened and Beast looked concerned. He helped Gambit remove his shirt, which was now stained with blood. I moved out of Beast's way as he had Gambit lay on the table. Soon, the Professor came wheeling into the room. I again explained what happened at the mall to him.

Touching my gloved hand, the Professor said, "Why don't you go, Rogue. We will take care of Gambit and let you know if we need anything."

I walked out of the room, looking back at Gambit. He turned his head towards me, making his red eyes meet mine. He smiled a weak smile and I left the room.

I walked through the mansion halls in silence, not looking up at the others curious faces as I passed. I went straight to my room and sat on my bed, staring out the window. What was going to happen to Gambit? He is so sweet and kind to me, one of the only people who understood me most. I was so worried about Gambit, I failed to hear Storm walk into my room.

"Rogue?" she asked. "Are you alright?"

She sat down next to me on my bed. I looked up at her, my tears starting to fill with tears.

"Oh, Ororo," I said.

I bursted into tears. Storm held me in her arms and cradled me like a young child. She told me everything was going to be alright and that things would get better. We sat there for a few minutes in silence.

When I had stopped crying, Storm stood up and asked me if I wanted to join the others for a training session. I shook my head. I did not feel like training right now, not after what just happened. I would be so focused on Gambit, I would not be able to concentrate on the simulation. Ororo left the room. I was left to sit in my room alone. I then heard a voice in my head. It was the Professor.

"Rogue, please come to the infirmary," he asked.

I was nervous and anxious at the same time. Was Gambit alright? This thought ran through my head as I ran through the halls to the infirmary. I saw the Professor and Beast outside the close door and walked over to them.

"Gambit is alright," Beast said. "He is injured badly in the shoulder though."

"I believe you two would like some time together?" the Professor asked.

I stared at the Professor. It seemed as though he knew I loved Gambit and that I cared for him. I nodded and he and Mr. McCoy left. I slowly opened the door and saw Gambit lying in the bed. His head turned towards me and he began to sit up.

I rushed over to him to help him up. When he was settled, I looked up at his face into his red eyes. We were silent for a moment, just looking into each other's eyes. His eyes were so strong and full of life. I turned my focus to his shoulder, which was now covered in bandages.

"Does it hurt?" I asked quietly.

"Just a little," he replied. "Beast says I'll be fine. I was worried about you, Cherie."

I looked at him and asked, "Why?"

"I wasn't sure if that thief got you too," he replied.

I shook my head and told him what happen after I reached him. He laughed and said that he should have known that I would have taken care of the thug. I laughed when he said this. We looked at each other again. He smiled at me and I returned the smile back.

He suddenly did something I did not expect. He pulled me close and gave me a quick, soft kiss. I felt a rush go through my body. I knew I had just absorbed some of him through that kiss and stared at him.

"What was that for?" I asked, expectedly.

"My way of saying thank you," he said. "You saved my life out there."

"Gambit," I said. "I could have knocked you into a coma! You know my powers are uncontrollable and that anyone who touches my skin gets absorbed into me."

I turned away from Gambit. I was mad at him, for being so careless. I could have just killed him and he knew it. I was so frustrated with him, but it did not last long. I could never stay mad at a guy like him. I loved him.

I turned back to Gambit and apologized. He looked at me with forgiving eyes and nodded. We stared at each other for a few more moments. The next thing I know, I pulled myself to him and kissed him right back. It was longer than the first. When I suddenly realized what I was doing, I pulled away in horror.

I looked at Gambit and saw the color leave his checks. He fell back onto the pillow. I stood up, terrified.

"What have I done?" I asked myself, covering my mouth.

I knew I had to leave him, so I laid him down and covered him with a blanket. I turned to leave the room, but looked once more at Gambit. He lay so peaceful on the bed. Tears began to fill my eyes and I dashed out of the room. I ran through the halls and out the front doors of the Institute.