Chapter 1 / Disappearances

**Note: The end times events portrayed in this story are based off of those predicted in the Bible. They are not necessarily in the right order and may not correspond exactly with Biblical prophecy. For further study into the rapture, I would suggest going through a published study book on Revelation.

-------------- 

Please vote and comment after you read! I pray that this story will help you grow closer to God, wherever you are. (: 

--------------

Haley's POV

I glared at my brother, unable to contain my rage any longer. "I wish you were never born!" I screamed, instantly regretting the words that spilled out of my mouth.

Tears pooled in Jacob's wide brown eyes. "I hate you!" he whimpered as he buried his face in his sweatshirt. Quiet sobs wracked his little body, and my frustration melted into shame. I knew I should apologize, but my foolish pride kept the angry glare etched on my face.

"Please, for the last time, no fighting in the car," my mom sighed. I glanced at the premature wrinkles on her face, a result of the strain of managing two children on her own after the death of my father three years ago. 

I stared out the window, watching the dry countryside roll by. The silence was deafening.

My mom's piercing scream snapped me out of my reverie.

"WHERE'S JACOB?"

All that was left of my little brother were his ketchup-stained Winnie-the-Pooh shirt and shorts lying in the car seat.

~

My blurry vision slowly drifted into focus. I attempted to sit up, but my body felt as it weighed a thousand pounds. I was numb. All I felt was the warm stream of tears all over my face. My mouth tasted dry, and the need for water suddenly overcame me. I sat up quickly, and a jolt of sharp, stinging pain shot through my stomach like a lightning bolt. A blood-curdling shriek pierced my sensitive ears.

I winced. Who was that?

It was then I realized my mouth was wide open, emitting an inhuman scream. I forced myself to look at my surroundings, ignoring the steady throb of my stomach. The windshield was cracked and blood-splattered. The driver's seat was empty. I could barely make out a green sky and blue grass outside. I gasped and realized the car was hanging upside down in a massive tree on the side of the highway.

My seatbelt dug into my shoulder painfully. I glanced at my faint reflection in the window. Deep cuts and dry blood covered my face. I could barely recognize myself.

I felt like I was stuck in an upside down roller coaster at Worlds Of Fun, except with broken bones, no idea where my family was, and no way of getting help.

I began sobbing hysterically, even though I'd been sure I didn't have tears left to cry.

~

I don't know how long I was hanging there. 

It felt as if all the blood in my body had rushed to my head, and I could feel my life slowly ebbing away. I was uncomfortable and extremely drowsy.

My mind freed itself as minds often do in the few moments before drifting off to sleep. My thoughts were erratic and illogical; they flew through my brain like butterflies, spinning through the sky in random directions.

My grandma Nancy smiled at me. She was surrounded with the scent of freshly baked cookies and happy memories.

I glided through the chilly water, savoring the feeling of the pool enveloping my body like a cool blanket. I drifted, 12 feet underwater. The silence was beautiful. A stream of bubbles surrounded me as I soared to the surface and allowed my body to settle in to my favorite stroke: butterfly. I was in my own world defined by the rhythm of quiet breathing and powerful muscle.

Jacob giggled uncontrollably, his childish face lit up in pure delight.  

"I feel it, Haley!" he exclaimed. "Jesus came in me."

As all these memories flooded through me, I knew I was ending one journey and starting another; a much bigger, more exhilarating one. I held all the Earthly moments of my life in my hands, feeling them flutter. As I drifted toward the clouds, I opened my hands wide and watched the rainbow colored butterflies drift away from me. I waited until they were out of sight, and I turned around and felt myself coming home. 

Finally.

~

The first thing I heard was all of the church hymns I'd ever known somehow blended together in perfect harmony. I suddenly picked out one voice over all the others.

"Fly to Jesus, fly to Jesus, and live," an angel cried passionately, smiling down at me, welcoming.

I was overcome. I had finally made it home. Tears spilled down my cheeks, more than my eyes had ever shed in all my life. They were tears of pure, untainted joy. Joy like no one on Earth could ever experience. Beautiful, perfect, complete joy.

I was crouched on the ground, humbled by the sheer awesomeness of the kingdom of God. 

I continued to weep as though I'd never stop. Suddenly, a soft hand was on my face, wiping my tears away. My whole body tingled and I suddenly felt as if I were about to pass out. I slowly lifted my face to meet his.

Chocolate brown eyes overflowing with love met mine, and the tears exploded with renewed strength. I felt myself collapse, but before I could fall I was enveloped by the strong arms of Jesus Christ.

We held each other, crying together. "Father, Savior, oh, my Jesus..." I whispered over and over, hugging him with the little strength I possessed.

"I love you more than words could say, my beautiful daughter... welcome home," Jesus murmured, and the passionate sincerity of his words overwhelmed me. I had exhausted myself so thoroughly that I fell asleep moments later as he carried me.

~

My eyes fluttered open, and I sat up, well-rested.  

A young boy took my hand and helped me out of bed. I glanced at him and nearly fainted. His dark brown hair and sea blue eyes looked so familiar. This couldn't be... 

"I'm so glad you're here with us!" he exclaimed, a huge grin on his face. "Me and Jesus talked about you a lot. He was always quite fond of you, you know." he smiled, leading me to a large pool of crystal clear water surrounded by gorgeous mountains.

The boy pointed down into the water, and I followed his little finger. A coffin stood on the stage of Berean church. I recognized my family sitting in the first pew, holding each other and weeping.

"What's going on?!" I demanded. I ached to be with my parents and comfort them. 

Suddenly, the scene zoomed in on Pastor Clark talking about whoever had died. I noticed a picture slide show on the screen behind him. My heart sank as I recognized every picture.

I was watching my own funeral.

The little boy's round eyes looked at me with concern. "Don't be sad, Haley," he pleaded, tugging my hand. "They will come soon." He smiled again and sat down in a bed of yellow flowers. I plopped down beside him.

"I wonder if they know I'm way, way, way happier here than I ever was on Earth!" I exclaimed, falling back into the flowers. I spread my arms wide in contentment.

He smiled. "Jesus is so glad you're here."

I grinned. "I'm glad I'm here, too!"

We were silent a moment, listening to the beautiful sound of angels and the children of God sing praise.

"Thanks for what you did for my sister," he murmured.

I looked at him in surprise. "What?" I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Thank you," he repeated, still smiling.

Suddenly, Jesus came up behind us. "Tanner!" he called.

The boy glanced behind him. "Jesus!" he cried, and Jesus laughed, grabbing him and spinning him around. My mouth flew open in amazement. I blinked several times, trying to make it sink in.

I had just had a conversation with my best friend's dead infant brother.