The Empire Knows

Kanan's POV

"Kanan, we need to get out of here, now!" Hera's voice chimed through the com link she had given me. I ducked under a metal crate just in time. A laser blast flew over my head, so close I could feel the heat radiating from it. I struggled to grab the com from my belt and dodge the laser fire all at the same moment.

"Alright, Hera, I'll meet you at the landing zone."

"No time, the Imperials have caught onto us."

"You think?"

She sighed and commented, "No, I know. I'm going to do a flyover and you had better be ready by the time I get there."

"Copy that, Specter 2."

As soon as I said that, I shot down a stormtrooper stupid enough to come out of cover. I knew there were to many troopers to take care of, numbering thirty-three, minus the one I had just shot down. Even the Jedi would have trouble with them, even if the troopers couldn't shoot. I knew I had sworn to myself that I would never use the Force again to save my life. But I had to. Hera was there risking her life to wait for me so that I could be there to help fight by her side, help take down the people that were doing these terrible things to all people across the galaxy. I made my decision.

I got up from my hiding place and walked out into the laser fire, dodging the last shots that were fired from the blasters, except for one, which barely grazed my side. Nonetheless, it still hurt like crazy and I bit my lip to keep from crying out and showing them that I was injured. The troopers looked surprised, at least I think they did, but since they had their helmets on all the time, I never actually knew. Their commanding officer ordered his troopers to lower their weapons and said, "You, rebel, put down your weapon and come quietly so this won't have to be messy."

"What's the matter officer, I holstered my blaster and I'm standing in the middle of a firing squad. What makes you think I'm gonna make things...messy?"

The commanding stormtrooper cocked his head to the side, apparently confused by what I said. Before he could reach a valid conclusion, I reached out to the Force, calling it to me and using it to push the whole  squadron of soldiers into the wall. Knowing that this wouldn't last for long, I contacted Hera on my com.

"Specter 1 to Specter 2, do you copy?"

" Copy Specter 1, what's wrong now?"

"Nothing, calm down! Are you close?"

"Yep. I'm due to fly over in about twenty seconds. I'll put down the ramp and you'll have to jump."

"Copy that."

Hera and I had been together fighting the Empire for a month now and to mind, probably not hers, we have been growing close in friendship, and my hopes were that she found me... attractive. As for the 'specter' code names, we came up with them to keep our identities secret, so that if the Empire ever captured us, they would hopefully not be able to find out what our real names are. I know that there's not much hope, but I have to get hope where I can get it. Lately, we have just been making small supply raids and other things like that. It wasn't much. It was about the most a crew of two could do honestly. But to me it felt like so much more than carrying cargo in a freighter for a job.

After all of this went through my head in about a couple of seconds, I saw the Ghost  zooming by with the ramp down. Seeing that the ship was about thirty feet off of the ground, I again called the Force to me and jumped higher than any other normal species could. I closed the cargo bay door and breathed a sigh of relief. My side really hurts. But I can't let her find out. I don't want her to hate me, or go all Mom-mode on me... wait what? Anyways, using the Force twice in one day! That's not common. I swore to myself that I wouldn't use it again too...

Hera called down and interrupted my thoughts. I called back that I would be there shortly and climbed the ladder into the cockpit. I walked to my seat in the cockpit and sat down,  injury to the back of the chair so that Hera wouldn't see it.

"Did you get the supplies?" she said as she turned to me.

"No. I'm sorry, Hera. It's like they knew we were coming. When I got to the doors, there was a squad of bucketheads and I couldn't get anywhere, they had me surrounded. I had to take cover from being shot."

"Me too, pretty much. The Imps surrounded the ship and I had to blast them with the front turret. I'm going to fix dinner after I get the ship into hyperspace. You want to help?"

"Um, no, I'm good. I'm just gonna go in my cabin to...um...meditate."

"Ok. I'll have dinner ready soon, so don't go too deep into thought."

"Yes, ma'am."

I start to walk down the hall, stumbling from my injury, spots all around and my vision blurred. The fact that I had lasted as long as I had was because I had been running on adrenaline. As I walk in my room, I started to slide down the wall and lose consciousness rapidly. I heard voices, voices I thought I'd never hear again in my life.

Falling the rest of the way the wall to the cold metal ground, I lost my consciousness.