Rye, Dale, and Knives

***IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE***

I woke up with a start. I had a dream where I was in the hunger games. Barbie kept chasing me with a dress. She put it on me and I died. I shuddered and looked at the clock. It was 5:30 AM. I took a shower and put on an outfit that Crama laid out for me. Out of the mouthpiece, I ordered fish and milk for Buttercup. She eagerly ate the fish and lapped up the milk. Afterwards, she started to tangle herself in my hair. I laughed and detangled her claws from my hair. I ordered more fish and cut a loose string from my sheets. I tied the fish to the string and watched Buttercup try to get it. I eventually gave it to her and looked at the clock. It was 6:30 so I decided to go ahead and eat. I shut the door behind me and went down to breakfast.

I arrived at breakfast, and started piling food onto my plate. I started to arrange my pancakes the way dad did all those years ago. I started devouring them when I finally looked at the servers. I froze as I saw the first one. It was a girl that looked like president Beige. I saw another that I recognized. It was Rye. I sobbed and ran over to hug her. She hugged me back with tears in her eyes too.

"Can you talk?" I asked.

She shook her head no. I hugged her even harder and said

"I'll find a way to bust you out of here." I said.

She crossed her fingers and drew an 'X' over her heart. I drew one too and said

"I promise"

She smiled and pushed me towards my seat. I gave her my best 'are you kidding me' look when Mom came in. She saw me look at Rye and saw her. Her eyes widened in shock. She knows Rye from all of the times she's come over to our house. She takes us both in her arms and we all cry our eyes out. Dad starts to walk in, but when he sees the three women crying he slowly backs out. We all wipe our tears and gaze at each other. I beckoned them both and started talking

"Mom, I have one wish. If the rebels come, take Rye with them." I said

Mom nodded and kissed Rye on the head. Rye's eyes filled with hope. Barbie burst in and Mom and I sat down and acted like nothing happened. Dad and Haymitch came in. Soon, the whole team was there. I kept glancing back at Rye. Dad cleared his throat.

"Today, we are going to the training center to learn the skills you need for the games. Pay attention to the survival skills and stay away from bows and knives." Dad finished.

We went in the elevator, not before I told Rye to look after Buttercup, because I know I can trust her with that and because she will enjoy it. We went down to the basement, where we were the second pair to arrive. The first was Dale and the girl from his district. I held Haymitch's hand as the tributes started coming. A woman came up and started a cheerful talk on all of the stations and death. After she finished, Haymitch rushed over to the sword fighting station I shrugged and rolled with it. I told him in line that we should stay away from the weaponry. He looked disappointed but went with it. He went against the guy that they offered. I was surprised that he was doing so well. He won that fight with him and stepped down. I stepped up and did pretty good myself. I didn't do as we'll as Haymitch but if it came to a hunger games situation, I would hold off my opponent long enough to run away. I met p with Haymitch at the fire making station, rope tying, and camouflage. Soon, it was time for lunch. They wheeled out carts of food for us to eat. I grabbed some food and sat with Haymitch. We were soon joined by no other than Dale.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey" I said.

"Why aren't you with your district?" Haymitch asked.

"Haymitch!" I scolded.

"Nah, I don't mind" Dale said. "She's a jerk saying 'we have to stick to tradition' and 'join the careers' " he mimicked in a high pitches voice.

We burst out laughing for no apparent reason. Everything was easy going from then on and we warmed up to Dale. He and Haymitch had a 'bromance' in their opinion, while we became fast friends. The next couple of days, he went to the stations with us too. Then, it was the time for the private lessons. Mom and Dad agreed that I should purposely get a low score while Haymitch will try his hardest. We both objected,but were soon silenced.

"This is for the good of your life!" Mom exclaimed.

"Okay, okay." I said.

We went down to the bottom floor where the rest of the tributes were waiting. I smiled at Dale and he returned the smile. I sat down next to Haymitch. One by one the tributes were called ahead of us.

"Primrose Mellark"

I grimaced and started forward. I turned around and said

"Good luck Haymitch."

He smiled and nodded. I turned around and stepped into the training center.the gamemakers were studying every move I make. I shifted my shoulders uncomfortably and walked on. I went to the bow and arrow station first, and made it look like I was aiming for a dummy. I made everything go all flimsy, and released the bow. The arrow landed two feet in front of me. There were a couple of snickers from the gamemakers. I ignored them and went to the knives. I held it incorrectly, and threw it. It bounced harmlessly off a dummy's leg and fell with a clatter. There were some mummers. I picked up a weight and dropped it immediately. Laughter came from the box. Only one of the few that wasn't laughing, said

"You may go"

I turned around when even more laughter erupted I grabbed the nearest knife from the rack, and threw it at the guy who started laughing's fake hair. My knife went exactly through his hair and pinned it to the wall.

"Thank-you for your cooperation." I said.

A dead silence met me as I exited the room.

☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

I really spoil you guys because of three chapters in one day.

***IMPORTANT NOTE***

School starts on Thursday for me, so I won't be updating during the week as much due to homework 😒🔫 I will most likely update on Sundays so stay tuned!!!!!!

~eat_sleep_swim04