The Capitol

Chapter 5

   I wake up with a start. I stare at the unfamiliar ceiling. Where am I? When yesterday whirls back to me in a rush. I want to go back to sleep. I sigh and know I have to start training for the games ASAP. I peel off the Reaping dress and hop in the shower. I stand there under the hot water, thinking about possible strategies for the games. I start to see black dots in my vision and know I've been in the shower too long. I step out of the shower and walk over to the closet. I pick a white blouse and black jeans. I step out of my room and go to the kitchen. Mom and Dad are both there. I sit down while Haymitch comes in. Barbie is sitting on the couch reading some sort of magazine. I help myself to pancakes, orange juice, and fresh fruit.

"So, we have to talk about the games. We can't ignore it unless you want to die." Dad says.

"Ask away." says Katniss

"How do we find shelter?" I ask

"Well, Katniss was always the better one." Says Peeta

Mom smiled playfully.

"Well, usually they have trees because one year all of the tributes froze to death and that was not very entertaining." she pauses and continues "I say the best shelter is hidden in plain sight. You should also make sure you don't copy what we did because everyone knows our story and they would think I would copy you." she says.

"Okay" I said.

"What do we do to find food?" Haymitch asks.

Mom grimaces.

"You have to set up traps, and/or use a weapon to do so." Dad says. "You can use a knife, slingshot, and a bow and arrows."

"How do we know if we are good with knives or not?" I  ask.

Mom smiles as if there is a good memory. She hands me a butter knife. "Throw this at the crack in between the door and the wall"

I take the knife and throw it at the crack in between the crack. The knife is just a blur, and Klink! It lands right where I wanted it to. I look at my mother in shock. She smiles. Haymitch takes the knife out of the wall and threw it too. It hit exactly where I hit it. Our parents smiled.

"It seems that you have inherited our 'special' talents." Dad says.

Barbie butted in.

"We have arrived at the capitol." she said.

  Haymitch and I run over to the window and see the city which we have only heard stories about. The capitol was there. Glorious buildings everywhere, with fountains, flowering gardens, and stone lined streets. We are pulling in the station, when I see a mob of people looking like Barbie. They had cat whiskers, dyed skin, makuped faces, too perfect bodies. I shuddered. Then I start smiling and waving, just in case one of them remembers me in the games and wants to sponsor me. The train finally pulls to a stop, and we are immediately escorted off. I take a left and Haymitch turns to the right. The officials lead me into a room. I change into a hospital gown, when my prep team surrounds me. They lather, rinsed and pluck every hair off of my body. They surround my bare body and announce that I m ready to see the stylist. I am scared. This is the moment that changes whether I am dead or alive. I walk into a room with a red leather couch on both sides with a long, black table in between. I see a big, red button that wills me to push it. I start to scoot towards the button when the door opens.