Final Chapter

Ten months had passed since I walked out of Taron's throne room. I had managed to stay undetected in the shadows while I watched over Kalin. Occasionally I ran into a fire elemental who kept me up to date with our court activities. I hadn't seen my siblings since their exile, which was for the best. I had heard they died months ago, but I decided to remain in the mortal world. I wasn't ready to return to Avalon. I might never be. Even if I was, where would I go?

I had turned down Taron's offer to become one of his knights. I told him I planned to keep guard over Kalin. He assured me she was safe, but something in my heart told me she wasn't. Although he didn't believe she was in danger he didn't stop me. Part of me believed he wanted me to protect her, but he would never admit it. He was the last person I saw before I left Avalon.

In the mortal world, I'd become a solitary-an elemental not associated with any of the courts. Rejecting my court should have meant losing my connection with the fire element, but I was still considered part of the ruling family. That meant some of my power remained. I could still summon the fire element, but the level of power I used to have was lessened. I needed to stay strong in other ways to combat this weakness. When I wasn't tailing Kalin I spent my time weapons training. I worked with swords, knives, and throwing stars. Anything I could get my hands on.

The extra time in the mortal world did have one advantage. Aging another year had gotten rid of all my baby fat. My shoulders had widened and my muscles had mass. Thanks to the daily sword training, my body had morphed; I had become a lethal weapon.

During the long periods of loneliness my thoughts often returned to Marcus. He hadn't resurfaced. I feared our friendship was over for good. I assumed he'd been assigned to another high-ranking elemental. I was sickened when I imagined him in that position, but I had made the right decision. Although I was sure Marcus wasn't happy, he would agree Kalin needed saving to prevent a war between the courts.

The elements must always stay in balance.

When I returned from my evening training sessions I was surprised to see activity in Kalin's house. All the lights were on. At least ten air elementals moved in and out of the house in a hurry. When I saw two of them heading into the forest I followed. After about two miles, they approached an area cloaked by a glamour. Soon after, Jarrod stepped out of a portal, handing them royal robes. After some conversation he returned through the pathway.

I thought about how much time had passed since I left Avalon. Kalin must have been approaching her birthday. It was time for her to return to her father. Relief spilled over my shoulders. Taron's daughter would return to him unharmed and I could finally let go of my fear of war. It felt like a victory on so many levels. As the guards returned to Kalin's house I followed far enough behind not to be seen.

I was looking forward to seeing the Princess one last time before-

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash in the distance. My eyes roamed the area, trying to locate the tiny blimp. The trees were so thick they blocked most of the moonlight. It was almost impossible to see anything far away. Just as I started to head in the direction of the light I heard a pained scream.

I whirled around.

The two air knights were being attacked: one was engulfed in flames, the other trying to fight two fire elementals at once. I ran full speed toward them releasing my sword from its sheath. As I got closer I recognized the female fire elemental-Malin. I had heard she was appointed the leader of Liana's personal guard. Why did Liana send them to attack? There hasn't been a quarrel between their courts since I'd been here.

I threw a baseball size ball of fire at the back of the male fire elemental. It wouldn't hurt him, but it would draw his attention away. When he turned around, the air knight used his wind magic to suffocate him by sucking the air out of his lungs. Malin saw what was happening and slid a knife across his neck. A river of blood ran down his shirt as he collapsed onto the ground.

Dammit.

Sometime during the struggle the air knight on fire had stopped screaming. It appeared he was already dead. While the male fire elemental caught his breath, Malin came at me. I had almost reached them when she shot a stream of fire in my direction, missing me by only inches. As she pulled out a sword I went straight for her. Our weapons clashed, screeching.

"Why did Liana send you, Malin?" I demanded.

I pushed into her, forcing her back a foot or two. We circled each other. "What do we have here?" Malin asked. "If it isn't the deserter of our court."

As we moved, I realized her partner had disappeared. A twig broke, and in one quick motion, I reversed my grip on the blade and plunged it behind me. There was a gasp, then silence. I found her friend. I pulled my sword out, letting him fall to the ground.

Malin had already put a good distance between us when I asked, "I'm only going to ask you one more time. Why did Liana send you?" My voice sounded more like a growl.

She surprised me by throwing an iron spear. It hit me in my side, burning my skin instantly. I fell to my knees, and when I looked up, she was gone. As I pulled the spear out with my bare hand the skin on my palm charred. My mind raced wondering why they had attacked out of nowhere when it had been peaceful for more than a year.

The blood in my veins turned cold. "Kalin!"

The End

You can download THE SHADOW PRINCE for FREE everywhere books are sold. Here are two direct links.

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Prince-Mortal-Enchantment-Book-ebook/dp/B00IT1DQX0/

Barnes & Noble:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-shadow-prince-stacey-oneale/1118892874?ean=2940045744997