Chapter Seven

Within hours, we were back in the fire court castle. The dark obsidian hallways were quiet for once. The only noise was our boots clicking against the rock flooring. Our pace was slow as we made our way toward the throne room. I wasn't sure what I would say to Mother.

Beyond saving Marcus and myself, I still had concerns about Kalin. I couldn't kill her. Neither could Marcus. But that didn't mean Mother wouldn't send someone else. There was a chance she could convince another royal in one of the other courts to help her. I had to show her Kalin was no threat. And, based on what I saw, I didn't believe she was the next akasha. There was too much mortal in her.

Honestly, I doubted she had any elemental powers at all.

Once we reached the door to the throne room, I stopped Marcus before he entered. "I don't want you to say anything. Let me handle this."

"All right," he said, hesitation in his voice.

"I mean it. Regardless of what I say, or what happens, you go along with it. I don't want you to be punished."

"Be careful. Remember, this isn't the time for your usual sarcasm."

He knew me too well. "I know."

A gust of wind blew into my face as the doors opened. At least a hundred elementals, including a few council members and their guardians, filled the room. They were scattered in clusters. As expected, Mother was sitting on her throne. My adopted brother and sister stood on either side of her. All three of them turned to us as we stepped inside.

Mother remained sitting, tapping her fingers on the arm rest of her throne. "Have you completed your mission, Rowan?" she shouted.

We came to stand in front of her at the bottom stairs leading to her chair. I bowed. "No, Your Majesty."

Her eyes widened with surprise. "Then why have you returned?"

"I cannot complete the task you've given me." The silent room filled with sounds of faint whispers. Each of them had been around long enough to know what would happen next. There was no room for failure in my mother's court.

"Are you refusing my order?"

"I've spent the last twenty-four hours watching the girl carefully. Based on what I've witnessed, I do not believe she is a threat to anyone."

Mother rose and made her way down the stairs. Only inches away from my face, she said, "I did not ask you to spy on the girl."

"No, you didn't." I responded with barely more than a whisper. I didn't know why Taron kept her hidden, but if I revealed what Mother thought she was, some may seek her out to see for themselves. Or, they may fear Kalin as she does. Regardless, I wouldn't put her in any danger. "You asked me to break one of the sacred rules of the decrees. To commit treason. To murder a royal family member. I'm sorry to disobey you, but I cannot do what you have asked of me."

She circled me. Speaking loud enough for the crowd to hear, she said, "I asked you to prove your loyalty to this court. To show me you are worthy of my crown."

"I have shown I am worthy by making the right choice regardless of the consequences."

She placed her hand on the side of my face. From anyone else, it would've been a sweet gesture. From her, it wasn't. "Well then, are you ready to accept my judgment?"

I put my hand on top of hers, removing it from my face. "Yes, I am ready. But I ask that you spare Marcus. He had accompanied me with the intent to help me complete my task. It was my choice to refuse your command."