Chapter Three

Damn, I look good.

My normally unkempt hair was slicked back, my face cleanly shaven. I checked out all the rest of my angles in the mirror. Somehow, without ever being measured, the all black suit in my closet fit perfectly. The matching shoes were a bit snug, so I decided to wear my leather boots. I'd rather be comfortable anyway. No telling how long this party would run. They've been known to last for days.

Marcus left a while ago to get changed. He said someone would come to escort me. I had been pacing for hours. At the ball, it would be easy for me to pull my mother aside and get to the bottom of her decision. There was a small part of me holding onto a shred of hope that her offer might be genuine. But the rest of me knew there was much more to her decision.

I had learned not to trust her a long time ago. She would turn on anyone if it benefited her.

As soon as one of the knights showed up at my door, we made our way down the long hallway. The walls vibrated with the sounds of sensual, rhythmic music. The noise level escaladed the closer we approached. My nerves tingled with anticipation. I had never been invited to one of these events. But if it was anything close to the rumors I'd heard, it would be a wild night.

A gust of wind whipped against my face as the doors opened to the ballroom. The room was flooded with black feathered elementals elegantly dressed in a cascade of colors. Candlelit silver chandeliers illuminated the dimmed dance floor. Bodies clung to one another, moving to the beat of the erotic song. Wooden tables lined the walls where groups sat, laughing and drinking from crystal flutes. My eyes roamed the room for Marcus but I didn't see him anywhere.

The music stopped, and a single trumpet wailed.

The crowd turned to face me. I swallowed hard. "Prince Rowan of the House of Djin," an unfamiliar male voice announced. Whistles and claps rang from every corner.

I waved, keeping proper protocol.

The tuxedoed knight was leading me toward my mother's table when my siblings stepped into our path. Valac's appearance never changes. His clothing always was pristine, like it was on a mannequin. Tonight, he wore a suit eerily similar to mine. As always, his slicked back black hair was perfect; not a single piece out of place. His face reminded me of cold stone because he very rarely expressed any emotion. His twin sister Selene stood at his side. Her red, floor-length gown looked like it might have just come from a fashion house in Milan. She glanced at me quickly, smiled, and then returned her attention to her brother.

"Congratulations on your upcoming coronation, brother." Valac said, his voice monotone. "I'm sure you'll make an excellent king."

"Thanks, buddy. It almost sounded like you meant it." I patted him on the shoulder. "Seriously though, I appreciate your effort."

"He does mean it, Rowan." Selene interjected, playing the mediator as usual. "We both do."

If she didn't worry so much about Valac's opinion, she probably would have been happy for me. Selene has never given me the impression she wanted the throne. She relished in all of the spoils a royal life offered. Mother made sure she had the best of everything. She has always favored my siblings, adopting them both centuries ago after they were abandoned.

Mother told me I was conceived after she was raped. I didn't see how that was even possible considering she was the strongest of all the fire elementals, but even to this day, I have no idea who my father is. From birth, she has treated me like an inconvenience-a pebble in her shoe. Which was why Mother's decision to pass the crown on to me didn't make sense.