Chapter Ten

This wasn't how I imagined this day would go. My coronation was supposed to be a celebration, the greatest day of my life. The fire court throne room should have been filled with fire elementals and high-ranking members of the other three courts. During the ceremony I'd kneel before my mother. She would say a few words then place the crown on my head. Afterwards, we would party for days honoring this significant moment in our history.

Instead, I sat on the edge of the bed in the guest room of the air court castle. There were no members of my court with me. Only three would witness my coronation: Liana, my mother's sister, and my adopted siblings. The rest of my court would hear about it once they learned of my mother's execution. There would be questions from many, but only a few would know the truth. As Taron had said, none of the records would reveal the details of her treason. The remaining council members felt this was the best way to keep the peace.

Staring out the window I watched the sunset. A purple hue filled the skies around the castle. It was incredibly beautiful. I wore my formal red ceremonial robes that Liana had brought to me. Underneath, my sword was strapped to my back, resting in its sheath. Carrying a weapon wasn't typical for this type of ceremony, but it made me feel safe. Against my mother's wishes I'd left the barbell in my eyebrow. It really didn't matter. Her death would come before I was crowned.

I stood when I heard a knock on my door. A knight handed me a letter, then exited.

Rowan,

I know this is a big day for you and I'm sorry I can't be there. But after everything that happened. After what I did to you. The pain I caused. I can't even look at you. I need some time alone to deal with everything. Don't look for me. That will just make things worse. I don't even know what more I can say right now. I'm sorry.

Marcus

I growled. Crumpling the note in my hand, I set it on fire. He was the one person who I could count on, and now, he was gone. He didn't want me to find him. I didn't know for how long. Maybe forever. And there was nothing I could do about it.

Something about his words felt permanent, as if I'd lost my best friend.

I was still reeling from Marcus's letter when another knight came to escort me downstairs. The design of the air court throne room didn't look anything like my court. The rectangular room was massive. Flags with the air court symbol hung high along the cathedral ceiling. White pillars lined the walls with limestone statues of elementals. My boots clicked on the marble flooring as I made my way toward Taron. He sat on a throne made of clear crystal. It was the same stone used on the outside of the castle.

Air elementals in traditional yellow robes made up the audience. They stood in small groups, whispering as I passed by. I couldn't blame them. They knew my mother was being put to death. I must have seemed like a monster coming to watch. If I had a choice I wouldn't be here. The thought of any execution disgusted me, even more so because it was for my own Mother. But I kept my emotions in check, walking face forward as if I wore horse blinders.

One of the knights led me toward a chair near the king. There was an area cleared out in the center of the room. Within the space was a wooden chopping block and an iron axe. Since they planned to behead her the execution would be quick. Her suffering minimal. After all the hateful things she had said to me I shouldn't care about her pain, but I did.

In the far corner Liana leaned against a wall in her formal red robes. A single tear ran down her cheek as she glared at the execution area. She hadn't been close with my mother, but she was still her sister. Glancing around the room I searched for my siblings. I didn't see either. Perhaps they had chosen not to attend? I wasn't surprised. They had always been closest with my mother. If I found this event horrifying, it must be intolerable for them.