Jerks Care?

Written:  August 2013

Edited: January 2021

I closed my eyes and avoided the fact that this was happening. I pushed myself into an alternate reality, one that my mother wasn't drinking her head off. I shut my eyes tighter maybe this wasn't actually happening if I didn't see it. I felt a stinging sensation on my cheek and realized my mother had hit me again. I fell to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. She kicked me in the abdomen over and over again. I felt something warm on the back of my head. My hand flew up to touch something wet and sticky in my hair. I opened my eyes to see my hands in front of my face. I looked out the window to see the afternoon sky filling with clouds. I heard my mother screaming something while she sobbed unbearably also.

"You filthy whore! This is your fault! You stained the carpet, way to go! Get up! Lucy, now!" She belted, carrying on, but I couldn't bring myself to stay in tune. I was feeling very sleepy. Why now was I getting sleepy? I fought to keep my eyes open, noticing that I was surrounded by my own blood. Not only that, but my mother and I were also. I felt a hand grab my arm and shake me awake. I was so scared I shut my eyes and tried to stay awake with closed eyes.

"Look what you did Lucy! Why? Why did you have to mess up the carpet? I was trying to be nice for once and you ruined it by getting blood on the carpet! This is all your fault! You're the reason I'm a bad parent! I try to be caring, and you go and ruin everything! You slut!" My mother's words echoed as tears began to pour through my closed eyes.

"I- I'm s-so-sorry," I whispered. I just wanted to get out of this situation. Suddenly, I felt my mother being pulled away from me. I opened my eyes with every ounce of energy I had, just to see my father with an angry expression on his face.

"Margret! How could you? She's just a girl! Now hurry, call 911!" My father's voice roared. He knelt down beside me and put his hand to my cheek.

"It's okay, I'm here now... Everything is going to be fine." He said softly as I fell into the deep sleep I had been putting off for who knows how long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in an unfamiliar place and then closed my eyes again. I opened them back up to see the same place again. Was I in heaven? No, the voices assured me that I wasn't. However, it wasn't the sound of the voices that assured me, but instead, what they were saying.

"Age?" A deep male voice asked.

"Sixteen" A soft female voice replied quickly.

"Name?"

"Lucy Wildenson"

"Parents?'

"In questioning sir..."

"How long has she been out?"

"Two days... she lost a lot of blood sir. It looks like abuse, but the parents are saying she fell and is rather clumsy." I opened my eyes in shock. Two days! Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous! I sat up suddenly at the same time to see a male that looked around forty, and a younger-looking girl easily around 25. The younger girl gasped at my sudden awakening and took a step back. Had I really scared her that much? My eye drifted from her to the doctor trying to understand just what had happened.

"Ms. Wildenson, I'm sorry if we startled you. That was not our intention, however, I'm going to have asked if you could please lay back down. My name is Dr. Martin, you can call me Steven if you want." The man said calmly, slightly insuring me that everything was going to be okay. I nodded slowly at the man, and he smiled. The nurse still stood in the corner of the room with her sky blue scrubs, while Dr. Steven had royal blue.