Mom

I dropped my bag at the front door, dragging myself through the hallway into the empty living room. 

"Lucy?" Mary walked into the living room with her hair in a a messy ponytail, while she wiped her face on a kitchen towel that was tucked into her apron. 

"Yes ma'am?" 

"The twins have and awful virus would you mind going up stairs and getting me a status report? My walkie-talkie just died about fifteen minutes ago and i haven't gotten a chance to tell them that our spy method of conversing has been vetoed." She smiled, and i noticed the circles under her eyes and the manner in which her eye brows furrowed signaled she was tired.

"Sure thing." I gave her a smile and walked upstairs to the hallway where the twins slept. Their rooms were across from each other, and i first turned into Johnathan's. "Hey bud are you okay?"

"Lucy." He groaned, "Lucy I don't feel good."

"Aw buddy." I said as I ran my hands through his hair, "I know you don't feel good.  Are you hungry?"

He didn't say anything but just shook his head.

"Okay bud, your moms walkie-talkie's battery died, so maybe I'll set up a Skype call later so you and Mel can talk to her from your bed?" I suggested, stroking his warm cheek.

He nodded.

"Okay, Jon, I'm gonna go check on Mel." I said, but he grabbed my hand, stopping me.

"I love you Lu." His facial expression was soft as his eyes fought to stay open,

"I love you too Jon, get some rest buddy."  I walked out of his room, crossing the hallway into Mel's room. "Hey sweetheart" 

""Lucy?" She said as she pulled herself up onto her elbows. 

"Yeah, how are you?" She made a face and I smiled. 

"Not to good."

"I know babe." I said sitting down beside her and rubbing her arm. 

"I don't think you do Lucy." 

She said looking at me seriously.

"You're right," I giggled at her seriousness,"I don't know what it feels like to be a princess like you." I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"Because you're a queen." She said smiling at me.

I smiled at her widely. "You're too sweet, oh your moms walkie-talkie died, I walked to Jon about setting up a Skype call later so she could cook and talk to you both."

"Lu? could you pass me the garbage can?" she asked softly. 

"Sure" i grabbed it from the other side of her night stand and put it beside her bed. "You gonna throw up?" I asked getting ready to hold her hair back. 

"I don't think so, not right now at least, I'm just worried I will." 

"Okay princess," I ran my hands through her curly mop of hair I noticed her eyes closing, "get some rest."

"Sing to me Lu." I bit my lip thinking of something to sing. 

I thought about my mom singing to my sister from the other side of the room as she braided her long blonde hair, lulling her to sleep. 

"I love my baby, oh yes I do.

I love my baby, oh yes I do.

I love my baby, oh yes i do love you, my baby.

How i love you."

My eyes began to water at the thoughts, i blinked to make them wash back into my tear ducts,  however they just ran out onto my cheeks.