Chapter twelve Ice queen

Tuesday there were multiple attempts at tripping me, someone tripping and throwing juice at me. But I had a new shirt in my locker so I didn't care too much.

I usually had most of my stuff at home so Wednesday didn't hurt as much as they planned. My locker was dripping when I got to school. I was angry but I'd known she wouldn't let it go now so instead of going into a rage I just shrugged at Cass and said. "Thankfully had most my stuff at home."
I reported it and the school would look into it. They wouldn't find anything, of that I was sure, but I was going to prove harassment if I got in a fight again and got caught. Jared hung with the guys in the morning. He was even there for morning harassment and I ignored him. The little shit. He'd taken to poking me while Mac was still the one that said the same thing he did every day.

At lunch the stupid Vicky dropped her drink on me. Cassie never had clean clothes at school and today wasn't a PE day. When I stepped out of the bathroom my hair wringing wet from getting rid of coke and my shirt was practically see through. Cassie was close to crying and I was fuming. I couldn't go home because we had an English Lit test. This was embarrassing. I stepped out having decided to keep my head high when I saw The Five push through the crowd that had been waiting to laugh at me.

Mac stepped right up in front of me.
"Sweet cheeks, we heard what happened, why aren't you wearing a dry shirt?"

"Because I haven't got one, Princess."
Without blinking he stripped off his shirt and handed it to me. I was staring at him open-mouthed like most the people there. Then I smirked. "Wait here." I said as I turned around and went to put it on, leaving everyone in the hallway staring at Mac in his singlet. I quickly changed and stepped back out. His shirt was way too big for my smaller frame. It could have been a dress. I spun in front of Mac and then reached up to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks, Clay." I said using his first name. "That was very nice of you, I appreciate it."

Some of the jocks cheered and one yelled. "WhooHoo. Mac defrosted the Ice Queen!" I stared at Mac's face and he just winked while softly telling me. "I know I didn't, don't worry." I laughed at that, grabbed Cass and made sure to push right through Vicky and her friends.

Thursday was PE and thankfully we had to do laps. Derek wasn't at school and Jared had a mentor meeting. I put my hair in a high pony tail out of habit, I noticed Mac and the twins stare at me but took off without a word. Cassie and I never ran together, I was too sporty she always complained, instead she was at the back with the slow crowd. I made sure to stay behind the jocks and in front of cheer, as always, when the twins dropped back. One on each side smiling broadly.

"Hey baby."
"Boys." I replied not looking at either of them.

"Men." They corrected.
"Whatever." I sped up a bit, they kept up and started to run a step ahead of me. I sped up and they increased the pace.

"Think you can keep up, babe?" They challenged.
I passed them a bit in reply. We kept increasing the pace and passed the jocks, Mac decided to keep up with us as we left the rest of the class behind. It was good to let out for a change. By the time we dropped down while the rest of the class still had a lap and a half to do I was short of breath but laughing. The teacher came up.

"Miss Tanner, have you been training?"
"Yes Miss, endurance, for swimming." I lied smoothly.

"Well you did very well, your partners have been pushing you to a new high it seems. Will you be joining track or cheer by any chance?"
"No Miss. Just swimming."

She went back to yell at the rest of the class while the guys burst out laughing. "Always wanted to be your partner..." Mac said. "But multiple partners? Naughty little ice queen!"
"What's with the ice queen remarks?"

"That has been your call sign for years, babe."
"Oh." I wasn't sure if I liked that. Was I really that bad?

Jake took mercy on me and explained. "You never show any interest in any guy other than Jared and D is convinced that you don't like him like a guy, only like a brother. Every guy that ever hit on you has been brushed off. Even us."
"You guys have never hit on me."

"Only every morning." Mac said softly.
I looked at Mac and he was serious. "Oh. Well, yeah. I forgot about that."

They had asked me out. In the beginning, actually the same time Jared decided to wait for me inside, they asked me out. Every morning a different one had asked me. I had called them idiots every time and after a month or so the ritual started where Mac took the lead in cornering me every morning with the same line.

"Only you! The hottest guys in school and you forgot."
"Full of yourself aren't you?"

"Whatabout Zack, Liam, Jason, Logan, Mark and the Mark at the competition too, Harry, Jessie, Lex_"
"Okay! Okay! I get it."

"We don't!"
Thankfully the teacher came back and the rest of the class finished so we got up and joined them.

"Holy shit!" Cassie yelled as soon as I came close. "You on speed, chicka?"
They were all smiling, all the nerds. "Made the jocks look bad!" She continued in her usual loud voice. Then she looked at my face. "What's wrong?"
"Did you know they all call me the ice queen?"

"Euh, yeah? I thought you knew."
"Maybe I should just say yes to the very next guy that asks me on a date. Might get rid of that stupid nickname then."

The people around us laughed and Howard asked loudly. "Hey, Izzy? Wanna go on a date with me tomorrow night? See a movie or something?"
"You know what Howard? I would love to."

"I'll pick you up at six thirty."
Silence had fallen as everyone was listening to us. "Sounds great Howard. I look forward to it."

Strangely enough, I was actually blushing. Howard just looked dazed. I hoped he was serious about taking me out, because that would be my first date.
Ever.
Even if he was just an almost friend.