Chapter nine Lost it

I landed a good kick in his gut despite my dad holding me back and there was more laughter. My dad was chuckling and I was still fuming as I thrashed to get out of his grip. "Stand down, baby girl, I'll take you home."
I felt the first tear escape and all the fight left me. I went limp and dad all but carried me out of the hall without another word. He put me in the car and I closed my eyes as I listened to bags being dumped in the back and two others getting in. Not a word was said. It had been almost two years since I'd last lost control like that. I'd beaten up my brother that time and hurt too Jarred when he tried to stop me.

My rage was red hot and I usually had a tight lid on it but it was always there. Bubbling under the surface like lava. In the beginning they had tried to get me to talk it out but nothing had worked. Therapy had only made me clam up more, it had made my fury greater. I just needed something to bash, to wear me out, to kill. I felt like killing when I lost control and the men in the car knew. My court file was closed but they had been the ones to pick up the pieces, they knew every gory detail of what made me like this.

Jarred sat next to me, I knew he was always there for me. "Come here." He said softly knowing better than to touch me when I was like this. I fell into his embrace and started sobbing. He held me tightly mumbling sweet nothings, telling me it would be okay, promising to protect me, to keep me save. He knew he was making promises he couldn't keep. I knew it too but I didn't care I just needed to feel protected.

I started to calm down and hear my dad beside the car. "Just, you boys, leave her alone. Jarred will take care of her. She literally fought to make a point to all of you. She doesn't want another guy in her life."
"Respectfully Sir. May I just talk to her?"

"No Derek. You boys need to stay away from my daughter. Just let her come around."

"Will she be alright?" "That was brutal." "What happened?" Three people asked at once.

"Not my place to tell and not Jarred's either so don't you boys go pressuring him for it. Maybe leave them alone for the weekend too."
"Yes Sir, understood Sir." I almost smiled. My dad had a military bearing that he never lost no matter how long he had been out of the army and somehow guys always called him Sir. Peter and I only did it when we wanted to tease him. The last door to the car closed and we drove away in silence. Half way through the trip I softly whispered. "Why is it still hurting, papa?"
"It will never fully go away my baby girl but it will get easier eventually. I'm sorry." He answered sadly.

The rest of the ride was silent. When we got home Jarred went upstairs with me while the dads filled Peter in on what happened. Jarred told me to shower and I did so automatically. I came out in a towel, feeling numb. He pointed at my PJ's and told me to get dressed and stepped out into the hall. I did as I was told and curled up on my bed.

"You done?"
"Yeah." I grumbled.

The door opened and both Jarred and Peter walked in. Jarred had had a shower and they both crawled into bed with me with the remote to my tv. We didn't talk, they just held me as we watched some movie I couldn't pay attention to. I cried myself to sleep in the quiet safety they offered.
When I woke up I was snuggled into Jarred, Peter had gone to his own room but in his place he'd put his favorite, worn, old teddybear. I tried to figure out what had woken me and I looked at Jarred to see him already staring at me.

"It's the guys. They are arguing with Peter, I think they waited 'til your dad left."

There was a loud thump followed by footsteps running up the stairs. The first door on the landing was Peter's room, we heard it crash open. I turned my head into Jarred's chest and hid as the door crashed open. I didn't feel like dealing with them.

"Get the Hell out of my sister's room." I heard Peter growl as they loaded into my room.

"Well, guess we shouldn't have worried." Derek said and I heard a grunt.
"Go Jarred. My hero." Said Mac.

"Idiot!" I mumbled as I finally sat up and looked at all the testosterone that had filled my room. Derek had bags under his eyes looking like he had slept in his clothes. The twins weren't much better off, only Mac looked fresh as a daisy.

They collectively gasped and I realized that my mascara had run under the shower last night but I hadn't been bothered to remove it and my eyes would still show that I'd cried myself to sleep. Puffy, red and sad. I knew but I didn't care. My brother left the room knowing now that I had decided to face them, I'd sort them out. "I'm going to work, sis."
"I'll be in later." I told his back.

"Papa said to tell you, you can take paid sick leave." He told me over his shoulder.
"Yeah? Tell him he can shove it! If I can't get it when I am dying with the freaking flue I don't want it now. Tell him he'll be giving me a raise instead!"
Peter chuckled and walked out.

"Talk." One of the twins said. I actually couldn't tell which one.

"Piss off." I replied.

"What happened yesterday? Do we need to kill him?"
I flinched at his words and they had noticed. Jarred tightened his arm around my shoulder and put his head on mine. "Go wait down stairs guys." He told them.
They didn't move.
"We'll be down in a minute." I said softly.

They walked off. I went into the bathroom to make myself somewhat presentable while Jarred dressed in Peter's room. He was waiting for me when I was done.
"I can make them leave if_"

"Nah. This needs to be sorted out before we go back to school." I replied firmly.