Chapter 10

Celene's POV

"Please, Lena, just come down and let him explain," pleaded my mother from outside the door, exasperated.

They had been trying to talk me into being there when Ryan arrived for hours.

I sighed loudly, tired of it all. I turned to Andrew and pulled out the puppy dog face. "Andy, please don't make me," I said, working up some tears, "it really upsets me to see him and I just have a lot to think about right now and I feel so stressed and I just really don't want to." I batted my eyelashes and waited for him to crumble.

He looked torn, my puppy dog face was irresistible, but he really wanted me to work things out with Ryan.

"Don't fall for it, man! It's a trap!" James yelled from the hallway.

I made my eyes even bigger and sniffed pitifully a few times, trying to convince him despite James' pleas.

He groaned frustratedly and sat down next to me, gathering me in his arms. I smiled to myself. Works every time...

"Lenny I know you don't want to see your brother," he said softly. "But I really think you should. He's your family, and he might be here for a while. Please, I'm only asking this because I care about you. Will you just be there when he arrives and try to talk to him? For me?" He pulled back to look at me, his brown eyes begging me to say yes, he looked so sad I just wanted to hug him and -

"Wait a second, don't you dare turn this around on me! I'm the one giving the puppy dog face, not you! I see what you're doing and it's not gonna work." I folded my arms and stared straight forward, avoiding his adorable face. "Don't you try and guilt trip me, mister."

He gently grabbed my chin and turned my face back toward him. I looked at him skeptically and raised an eyebrow.

"Lena, please. For the sake of peace in this house and in your family, could you please just try to work things out with Ryan. Not for him, but for me," he said steadily, his eyes boring into mine. "Please, just talk to him."

I tried to hold my resolve, but after looking at his sincere expression for a while, I sighed. I was being selfish and childish and I knew it.

I threw my arms around him and buried my face in his shirt in defeat. "Fine," I mumbled, angry I had lost. "But if things get ugly, don't blame me."

He squeezed me tightly and kissed the top of my head. "Thank you, Lenny," he whispered.

"SHE SAID YES!" James yelled from outside the door. There was a series of cheers and sighs of relief. I heard everyone run down the hall to get ready for Ryan.

I rolled my eyes and pulled away from Andrew reluctantly. Standing up, I sighed again and ran a hand through my hair. "I guess I should find something to wear then," I said walking toward the door.

"Lena?" Andrew said, standing up.

"Yeah?"

He gave me a little half smile. "I really do appreciate it," he said.

I smiled back. "I know."

I opened the door and stepped outside, hoping to find Addie so I could apologize. I walked down the massive hallway and went downstairs, heading for the den. When I got there, I saw Addie sitting in one of the couches next to James, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it," I heard James say softly, "I don't think she's mad anymore."

I stepped off the last stair loudly, gaining their attention.