Chapter 7

Celene's POV

"Lena? Lena, wake up. C'mon Lenny, open your eyes..." A familiar voice penetrated my dreamless sleep. I was vaguely aware that someone was trying to wake me up, but my body refused to move and my eyelids were so heavy I thought they'd been sewed shut.

"Lena please, Dr. Lunt said the anesthetic should be wearing off. Can you hear me?"

I wanted to answer, but for some reason my voice wasn't cooperating, so I just let out a frustrated groan.

I heard a chuckle and then felt a warm, calloused hand gently touch my face. I leaned into the comforting touch and took a deep breath. I felt their thumb stroking my cheek and smiled. Well I kind of smiled, half of my mouth was drooping because I still felt weighted down like I was in a coma or something.

"Lenny please try to open your eyes if you can, I know you feel tired, but just try," they said.

I let out a little sigh. My eyelids felt like they weighed 3,000 pounds. I opened them slowly and painfully, and everything was blurry. I let my eyes adjust, then blinked a few times. I was lying on an extremely uncomfortable cot in what looked like a big white tent.

"Lena?"

I turned my head to the side.

"Andrew!" I started to sit up, but I was met with a sharp pain in my side. I gasped and clutched my ribs, squeezing my eyes shut for a moment.

"Whoah, whoah, don't move yet, Lenny." He carefully pushed my back down onto the cot. "You have three broken ribs and some pretty bad cuts and bruises." His eyes were sad and worried. "How do you feel?"

"Like crap," I said, moving my head side to side, trying to relieve the stiffness. I took a look at his guilty and pained expression and added, "But it's really not too bad, I'm sure I'll be good as new in no time!"

He gave me a sad little half-smile. "This is all my fault."

I grabbed his hand in mine carefully, trying not to move anything else. "This is not your fault, Andrew. Please don't beat yourself up about this, you're the one who saved me," I said, confused. Everything that'd happened at school came rushing back to me. The assembly, the huge scary guys, Addie fighting, the wolves, it seemed like I'd dreamt it all, but I had three broken ribs to prove it was actually real.

"Andrew, what the hell was all that?!" I asked, trying to contol my thoughts. Nothing was making any sense.

He sighed and looked at me, his expression unreadable. "You know how I told you the other day that I'm dangerous?"

I nodded.

"That's the danger I was talking about."

I stared at him, totally lost. "What?"

He smiled slightly. "I guess I should just tell you flat out instead of giving you these cryptic answers, huh?"

"That would be nice," I said, nodding slowly.

He took a deep breath and looked straight into my eyes. "Lena, I... I'm a werewolf."

I stared back at him blankly.  I snorted, he was joking to lighten the mood. "Yeah. And I'm a shape-shifting hamster. Now what's really going on?" I raised my eyebrows and waited.

Andrew rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his messy hair. "I knew you wouldn't believe me. It was worth a shot though." He got up and walked over to the opposite side of the huge tent. He ducked behind a big cart full of medical supplies and I saw him toss his shirt and shorts off to the side.