Chapter 6

Andrew's POV

I thought about the situation as I patrolled the woods. None of it really made sense... I turned and saw that my cousin John had come to take over for me. I nodded at him gratefully before sprinting into the woods to where everyone had set up camp. After walking around a while, I finally found James sitting with the guys, eating.

"Hey man, can I talk to you a sec?" he said, potato chip crumbs falling out of his mouth.

"Sure." We walked away from the group and as far away from my dad as we could get. If we said anything about Lena, he'd have my head for "associating with one of those disgusting Morgans!" I shook my head. Lena would never be disgusting to me. She was quite the opposite.

"So how is she?" I asked worriedly. It was driving me insane not being able to be with her all the time to protect her, but we'd decided I was still to dangerous to do any good. I couldn't afford to lose it again while she was around, or I could really hurt her. It only slightly put me at ease knowing Addie was there to protect her.

"She's fine," he said. I relaxed a little, relieved she was still ok. "But she's getting really suspicious, dude." He scratched the back of his head. "And she's worried about you. I told her you had the stomach flu or something but I doubt she bought it."

I chuckled. Lena wasn't stupid, no way would she believe all the crap people were telling her. That worried me though. It meant she was trying to find the truth...

I changed the subject, not wanting to dwell on Lena too long. It was paining me to think about her. "So any ideas as to why they're planning to attack the school?" I asked. We knew the Ripleys were going after the school, but we had no idea why. What they would want with a bunch of stoners and lazy ass students is beyond me.

"Well I talked to Addie this morning, and she couldn't think of what they'd want from the school, let alone why they're suddenly so angry," he started. Lately the Ripleys had been harassing us and sending threats and challenges.

"Well that's helpful," I said sarcastically.

"But then I talked to her after school today, and she said Lena and Kaitlyn had a little cat fight during lunch today, and Kaitlyn kept telling Lena to come with her and stuff," James said.

"So? Kaitlyn's a bitch. What else is new," I scoffed.

James rolled his eyes. "Addie made it sound like it wasn't an ordinary fight. Like there was some kind of ominous meaning behind it."

I sat on a nearby stump and thought. And thought. And thought. Meanwhile, James paced around, also trying to solve the puzzle. Why would Kaitlyn suddenly want to be friends with Lena...? She'd hated her since the first day I introduced them. Kaitlyn was always jealous of how much time I spent with Lena, and she envied Lena's looks even more. So why in the world would she try to befriend her... Unless...

I jumped of the stump, my hands shaking. I wasted no time and took off in the direction of the school.

James grabbed my arm. "Whoah, dude, slow down, what's going on?"

"I can't believe I didn't think of this before!" I fumed, furious with myself.

"Didn't think of what?!" James asked, completely confused.

"Don't you see?! Kaitlyn knows firsthand how much I care about Lena! She knows how devastated I would be if something were to happen to her!"

James stared at me blankly.

"Godammit James, they want Lena! THEY'RE GOING TO TAKE HER AND USE HER AGAINST ME!" I roared, shaking uncontrollably.

Realization finally hit James's face. But before he could say anything, we heard a loud shout.