Chapter 2

Celene’s POV

“LENA!!!!!!!!!”

I felt someone jump on my back and put their hands over my eyes.

“If that’s not Addie, I’m gonna scream and run,” I said laughing.

“Now that would be one hell of a piggyback ride,” she said as she slid of my back.

Addison Douglas was my best girl friend. She was insanely pretty and had and insane personality to match. Her dirty blonde hair went past her shoulders, and her eyes were a piercing light blue.  We’d been friends ever since we met in 7th grade when we were paired up in science.

“Sooo how was Hawaii??? How’s Andrew? And your mom? What do you have first period? My socks don’t match. I had a double shot of espresso this morning. What’s for lunch???” She was bouncing up and down and looking at me expectantly.

“Fantastic, good, better, English, cool, you shouldn’t have, and spaghetti,” I rattled off, used to her constant questions. I pulled my books out of my locker and turned around to see my bestest friend in the whole wide world who was a boy.

“ANDYYY!!!” I squealed and threw myself into his arms.

“Hey, Lena, haven’t seen you in what, 2, 3 whole days?” he joked.

“Whatever.” I took a sip of the drink he was holding. “Gross. Is that diet or something?”

He snatched it away. “Get your own soda, Lenny.”

I made a face and was about to shoot back a clever retort, when Kaitlyn Ripley strutted up with her posse, tossing her perfect dark hair over her shoulder. She wrapped her arms around Andy’s waist and didn’t give me a second glance.

“Hey baby,” she purred. “Meet me by my locker during our free?”

“Sure, babe.” He said casually, sipping his drink. He kissed her quickly, but she glared at me and pulled his face back to hers, shoving her tongue down his throat in the middle of the hallway.

“Well I’m gonna lose my breakfast if we stay here, so I’m heading to homeroom,” Addie said in a disgusted tone.

“Me too.” I gave Andy a mock salute and followed Addie to class.

Andrew’s POV

“Did you really have to do that?” I asked Kaitlyn, annoyed. She was always jealous of Lena and hung all over me whenever she was around. Kaitlyn was overly possessive, and she obviously didn’t get that Lena was my best friend, and just my best friend, nothing more.

“Do what, baby?” she asked innocently. “It was just a little good morning kiss, Andy.”

“Well you don’t have to do it in the middle of the hallway, and don’t call me Andy,” I snapped. Only Celene called me Andy, she had ever since we met.

Kaitlyn backed off. “Sorry, hun. Still meet me by my locker at free?”

I softened a little. “Yeah. I’ll be there.” I pecked her on the cheek and walked toward my homeroom. I passed by a mural made by the 2nd and 3rd graders, which consisted mostly of handprints and smiley faces. It reminded me of when Lena and I met.

*FLASHBACK*

“THAT IS IT YOUNG LADY. Go sit by Andrew in the corner. No recess for either of you until you learn that putting worms in people’s sandwiches and setting ant hills on their chairs is not funny! If this happens one more time, I am calling your parents!”

“Yes ma’am,” I heard a little voice giggle. A girl with light brown hair and big eyes plopped down next to me. Her angelic face, curly pigtails, and yellow dress almost would’ve made you think she was innocent.

“Hi!” she chirped. “I’m Lena.”

“I’m Andrew,” I said, taken aback by her perkiness.

“Andrew,” she giggled. “I’m gonna call you Andy.”

“Well if you’re gonna call me Andy, I’m gonna call you… Lenny!”

“Deal,” she said, nodding. “So are we friends now? We have nicknames and everything!”

“I guess so…” I was confused, I’d never made a friend so quickly. And I’d also never had a friend who was a girl.

“You guess so? No. You have to promise, no, you have to pinky promise that we’ll always be friends from now until forever,” she stated seriously. She held up her pinky.

I was internally panicking. It seemed like a pretty big vow. But for some reason, I was drawn to this energetic and talkative girl, and I raised my pinky and hooked it to hers, making the biggest commitment I would ever make.

“I promise.”

*END OF FLASHBACK*

I shook my head and smiled. Then I remembered what was going on now. It was just going to get harder and harder to keep that promise.

Celene’s POV

I flopped down on my blue bedspread after a long day of school. I sighed and pulled my jean shorts off and some comfy track shorts on. The day had been uneventful, after watching Kaitlyn shove her tongue down Andy’s throat, the day went on as usual. I heard the garage door opening and I knew my mom was home from work. I went downstairs and found her sitting at the kitchen table with her head in her hands.

“Mom?”

She looked up at me, surprised. “Oh hi sweetheart, I’ll um, get dinner ready…” she trailed off and I knew she was thinking about my dad.

“No mom, I’ll make dinner, you take a break,” I said gently. She wasn’t used to working such long hours, but we needed the money.

“Thank you, sweetheart.” She sniffed. “It’s just so hard without him…” she trailed off, on the verge of tears.

I walked over and wrapped my arms around her. We sat like that for a while, and my thoughts drifted to my dad. I remembered his deep laugh, his comforting smell, his wide smile. My heart ached with the memories. Six months ago, my dad had been on a business trip in the city, and on his way home from dinner near his hotel, he was attacked by a gang in an alleyway. When someone finally found him, they were too late. When my mother found out, she was devastated. She’d lost her husband and her best friend in the world. I lost my father, but I still had Andrew to help me through it. I tried not to let my mother see how much I was hurting inside; I needed to be strong for her.

“I love you, Mommy,” I said softly, trying not to cry.

"I love you too, Sweetheart."

 Pic of Addie ------------------------------------------->

So what did you think? Message me or tell me in the comments :)

p.s. I promise the story is gonna pick up sooon so please bear with me!