Chapter 4

Celene's POV

I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering what the heck Andrew was hiding from me that was so bad, he had to threaten Kaitlyn and punch a locker. Was he in a gang? Dealing drugs? Was he a freaking secret agent or something?! I mean, I loved Andy, but destroying a locker and busting a door down was borderline psycho... I couldn't shake the image of his piercing black eyes, filled with anger and rage. I'd never seen him like that, and I was almost afraid of him.

I groaned and threw my arm across my face. What the hell was going on? At that moment, Pinecone, my little brown puppy, decided to paw at the foot of my bed. I sat up and picked him up with one hand and set him on my lap.

"Piney, what am I going to do? Ughhh why can't things just go back to normal..." I scratched under his chin and he wagged his little tail. He licked my knee, sensing that i was unhappy. Even though I'd only had him for a month, he always seemed to know when I needed comforting.

My phone buzzed next to me repeatedly, someone was calling. I flipped over my phone to see who it was.

Incoming call from : ANDY KING AKA THE BESTEST BUDDY IN THE WORLD!!!!

Ahem. He put that in there, not me. I was happy, then confused. Andy never called me. He knew it was to risky, what if I'd left  my phone in the kitchen and my mom saw it or something?! Figuring it must be an emergency, I hit the green button and lifted the phone to my ear.

"Andrew? What's going on?" I asked, puzzled.

"Meet me at the cabin as soon as possible. Please, Lena." He said quickly.

"But wha-" I was cut off by a steady tone. He'd already hung up.

I set Pinecone on the floor and looked for my shoes. Maybe Andy was finally going to explain what all this crap was about. I paused. Should I really be alone with him after what happened today? What if I said something that set him off and he got all violent again? I took a deep breath. Andrew would never hurt me. He was, and always would be my best friend.

I slipped on my running shoes and ran downstairs to my mom. She was sitting at the table with a lemonade, reading through a noteboook.

"Mom?"

She looked up at me, startled. "Oh hi sweetie, I didn't hear you come in."

"Is it okay if I spend the night at Addie's? She had some homework questions," I lied, pushing back the pang of guilt that came on suddenly.

"Celene, it's a school night..." She hesitated.

"I promise I'll get to bed at a decent hour. I can just borrow clothes from Addie for tomorrow," I said, trying to be persuasive. I hopped from foot to foot, getting impatient.

She sighed and gave me a small smaile. "Well alright, but be safe and get your work done."

"THANK YOU THANK YOU!" I exclaimed. I gave her a quick peck on the cheek before bolting out the door.

I ran as fast as I could into the woods to our secret cabin. I slowed down as I neared the clearing and walked up to the window. I peeked in and realized that he wasn't here yet, so I went on inside to wait. I sat down on my beanbag and looked at the letters and pictures that covered the walls. When we were younger, we weren't always able schedule little meetings like we did now, so we'd write letters and tape them up on the wall for the other person to find. I smiled, remembering little Andy. He had the cutest chubby little face and big brown eyes. I thought about how much he had changed since then. His face was definitely not chubby anymore, and he was obviously taller and stronger. But his eyes still hadn't changed. Well except for earlier today, when they were that terrifying shade of black...