Day and Night Siblings Fight

© 2010, Olan L. Smith

Hector's specter calls inviting me to dine one early morning. "Surely," I reply, "Carry my radiance upon Sister Dawn's breeze to our set plate, and we will celebrate this blind date." My ghost rose from Sleep's embrace and from hither we flew westerly above trees and dell, across land and sea, and we took flight over Mother's apron until we came to rest in sky blue familiarity. Hector ventures into retreat, where? I do not know, and he leaves me in the presence of an aged, silver faced, woman.

"Old Luna," said I, "You block my way in which direction. Did Hector fly? He went to his home to prepare, dear soul, a feast." She smiles warily, "Go, bother me no further for I have a rendezvous to complete."

I turn and look directly at his abode and find his door tightly closed. Before me are many of our family members, some are dazzling, and others dull going about their deeds as Darkness appears greeting me mid-way.

"It is exceptional that we meet like this and I take more than my share," my ancient brother said; then, in the midst of our family, he tries to assassinate me.

My mind raced. "What has happened to Day? In this hour of darkness. Why is Sister Luna assailing me in my domain? Does she not know her place? Why is she giving Hector Aid? "

In our commotion I see cousins seated, and I shout; "Leave! This is not right. I can extinguish you with a mere notion, as for my everlasting brother, Hector will return him to his pathway."

Still, all dim and twinkling; I try to remove my sky blue carpet as day's chaos, and I pose for immortal battle. I am against him; he is against me, in Sister Dawn's witness. Luna vows to devour me. Am I the meal of the feast?

I say, "I do not want to slaughter you, my godly brother, yet you leave me little option. You are always a tag along chasing my tail at every corner, and now you dare invade my domain? Though you are powerful; I am mightier; have you lost your mind? Offering me as victuals for this...this...gray-haired dim-watt!"

What evil energy possesses Hector? He dares to destroy such as me? I am Sol! The balance of Night and Mother placed me in the sky to bring stability to my grandfather's void. Our struggle tumbles through the barricade and into daylight's boulevard where I expand the higher hand and remove Hector from my realm. They say you cannot slay an immortal, but I placed him into a finite realm, half sphere—no more—no less, though he is hungry and wants to nourish; I have my consigned space, and he—in my shadow.

"Luna; you incite me, Old Woman, do not irritate or aggravate me further, for I warn you! There will be a day my anger will ignite, consuming both of you and mother."