Nancy Sue Roberts

©2016, Olan L. Smith

Come rain or shine; my brothers and I walked two blocks down Grand Street to the highway to meet the school bus. In this manner I met every school age child who lived on our two blocks. Most of them were older than me, but every now and then Nancy Sue rode the bus with us, because she spent the night with her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Roberts. Nancy was fun to play with most days. Plus, I already came trained to play dolls thanks to Kim. Nancy Sue and I were particularly close. She taught me how to play house, and I taught her how to ride a bike. I never went to her grandparent's house, mainly because Mr. Roberts was a little bit on the scary side. They had an old trailer home that was set up to be Nancy Sue's personal doll house on their property. We would spend a lot of our time unsupervised, playing house, dolls, and doctor nurse. It was nothing serious; mind you; it was just a little body exploration that is common for children, and for sure, we never did any yucky stuff like kissing.

I had a full plate as far as playmates were concerned. Not only did I have Kim, and Nancy Sue I also had Maggie who had recently moved into a home next door to the Bailey brothers. It didn't matter to me that I was playing with more than one girl, however it seemed to be a problem for Nancy Sue. One day while we were playing house, Nancy Sue broached a new level of awareness for me.

"Cotton," she said. "Maggie wants to take you away from me. I don't want you to see her anymore."

I just looked at her with indifference, because I thought she was playing the jealous wife.

"Cotton do you hear me! I don't want you to play with her."

"We're just friends," I explained.

"Cotton I've talked with Maggie and she wants you."

This thought was inconceivable to me. Because I didn't know anything about being jealous or possessive of another, and besides, we were just kids playing together. I ran from the trailer and tore out across Mr. Roberts' yard. Nancy Sue came running out of the trailer (her playhouse) after me.

She shouted "Cotton! Don't go! She just wants to take you away from me." I ran all the way to Maggie's house. I knocked on the door.

Mrs. Houston came to the door. "Hi Cotton, would you like to play with Maggie?"

"I sure would, Mrs. Houston."

Maggie came from the back of the house, and said, "Hi Cotton lets go play outside." Great, I thought, a friend who just wants to play. I never mentioned to her what Nancy Sue had just said. We played for hours and had great fun. I was safe. She didn't want me; she just wanted to play with me. Maggie then did something I will never forget. She stood up in the sandbox and asked me to come over by the side of the house.

"Cotton, we have known each other for two weeks. Don't you think it's time for us to kiss?" My head began to feel funny all over. The world was beginning to spin. All I remember was running. Running as fast as my feet would carry me. I ran across the Bailey brothers' yard straight into the tall corn stalks, and dropped to the ground. I could hear Maggie behind me. I prayed to God she wouldn't find me. "Cotton! Where are you?" she shouted, over and over again.

I just cowered, deep in the rows of corn. I thought, "What's wrong with these girls? They must be crazy." I stayed away from Maggie mainly out of embarrassment. I would play with Nancy Sue again, but never as closely, and as we matured we grew apart to where we were just acquaintances.