Chapter 5

• Dedicated to Chiara

Chapter 5

When it was time to go, Father came with us. As we drove up to the Hotel he

looked about ready to murder me. When we finally got up into the top

hallway his hands shaked.

"Well good night." I said about ready to leave that glaring face.

"Come here Hazel." He said.

I breathed deep and walked to him. Before I knew it I was on the floor with

a sharp pain in my cheek. He had punched me!

"You little asshole! How dare you make me look stupid in that resturant." He

spat.

"Trust me, you don't need me to look stupid." I said. He kicked my face.

Blood trailed down my neck.

"If your staying here you need to learn respect." The whole time Alyssa was

standing behind him. Not standing up for me or telling him to stop.

"I know respect!" I yelled. "Respect isn't yelling at the waitress because Mr.

Grumpy Pants didn't get mushrooms of his stupid STEAK!"

"I will not tolerate this!" He yelled, spittle spraying. "I welcomed you into my

home and this is how you treat me? You have one more chance! One more

chance and you are out." He punched his fist into his other.

"Oh using a sports metaphor are you?" I said hotly.

He fumed. "JASON! Take your little half breed with you!" He walked into his own room, slamming the door shut.

I felt a strong hand pull me towards my room. "LET ME GO JASON!" I yelled.

"Shut up Hazel!" He whispered. His gray eyes were wide. "Do you want to die?"

I didn't even pause. "WHY YES! I do want to die, don't you remember the fire? You were there, ruining everything!"

"I I had to." He stuttered.

"Why? Why did you have to?" I said looking him in the eyes.

"I just did. You were to beautiful to let go." His eyes filled with tears. "You

shouldn't have been filled with even the thought of killing yourself."

"You changed me cause I'm beautiful?" I said in disbelief. "You only changed me only 'cause of my beauty?"

"No its just..." He said. "You were filled with this... Let me explain."

"Okay go ahead." I said, sitting down on my bed.

"Every once in a while, when someone is changed a power is filled in them."

He said, with a far away look in his eyes. "Its very rare, and a vampire looks

for the power in a human. It makes the best vampire. You following?"

I nodded.

He continued. "I was one of them, a rare find, Father had said. I have the

power to sense, whats the word, sense feelings. I sensed a great power of life

in you, I found you from all the way at this hotel. I booked it the night of the

fire, when I found out that your life was fading. I couldn't let you go because

of your inner beauty." He smiled.

"Oh.." What could I say?

"You must have a power. You had so much energy in you that you have to have some thing in you." He said.

"Yes." I did. My power was fire. "I can control fire, sorta."

"Show me." He begged.

I looked at the closed door and the blinded windows. I extended my hand and a small red flame grew in my palm.

He gasped. "Its ironic right? You being changed in the fire. The fire must of some how went into you. Wow."

I closed my palm. Drowning the flame. "Yeah I guess. But I think its because of this that I am alive. I went over to my dresser and forgot that my flower was back at the campsite, under the rubble of my cabin. Tears sprang to my eyes, I had lost Dodge's last gift.

"Whats 'ammater?" He said springing to his feet.

"I lost Dodge's last gift." I whispered. "A flower that was on fire. It never went out."

"Never say his name." He snapped. I turned to him and he slapped me across the face. I fell against the dresser and felt my burning face.

"Okay you don't need to hit me!" I yelled.

"Its the only way you'll learn." He smiled a dangerous smirk.

....................................................................................................................................