Chapter 32: When the Cicadas Weep I

Origami Girl

Chapter 32: When the Cicadas Weep I

"A cicada shell;

it sang itself

utterly away."

-Matsuo Bashou

I told myself that it wouldn't take long for me to pack up for the trip back to Hakodate. Besides, I had all my things back there, it was my home after all. Nevertheless, I decided to bring the suitcase I had brought with me to Sapporo, and used it to store all my things. Just a few pieces of clothes and my personal things, with enough spare room for some gifts.

Well, that was what I thought. Squatting in front of my open suitcase, I found myself in front of piles of folded clothes and makeup, barely even fitting the bag. It seemed like I packed my entire wardrobe in there. Well, sure, the clothes which I packed from Hakodate all fitted in my bag, but I had bought some new clothes, as well as gifts, and now it seemed to be overflowing.

I tried closing it, but it wouldn't work. I had to get some things out if I didn't want my luggage to burst when I dragged it. Packing was such a pain. Truly it was.

"You're still not done packing?" Shuuya-kun asked me as he stood in the doorway, towel . "You've been doing that since Sunday."

"You're not a girl," I chided him. "You don't get it."

"What I get is that you need to get some of those clothes out of your bag," he said, folding his arms. "Seriously, you don't need to bring all of them."

"I'll be done soon," I replied. "I won't take long."

"That better be right," he grumbled. "We need to get to the station by ten thirty."

With that, my cousin walked off, and I heard a door shut, presumably the bathroom door. He was about to shower after all. I took a look at the time on my phone. It was eight-forty, so I'd better get started on removing some clothes if we wanted to get to the station on time.

I decided to take out a few folded blouses, since I already had clothes with me back at home, so I could just leave them in the wardrobe. I thought that did the trick, but sadly it didn't. There was also my laptop, but I could put that in my haversack, so that was fine.

In the end I took out everything again and laid them all out on the floor in front of me. I had a lot of gifts that I had bought for my parents and brother, as well as Sayaka-chan, so I set them all aside for a while. I had to bring those, and there was no way I could leave those behind.

Then I sorted out the clothes, whatever I had left. I the end I just decided to go with a few dresses that was worthy of going out, since I had plenty of home clothes left in Hakodate. I went ahead and tried to close my suitcase. Thankfully, everything fit in there this time. I should have done so earlier.

I was still in my pyjamas, but I had already made up my mind on what I would be wearing. I was going with the deep azure collar dress that I had worn a few days earlier. But it was fine, since I had already washed and dried it over the weekend, and had ironed it the day before. I was starting to fancy that dress very much. The collar was very sweet, and I felt like it complimented my look best.

It was then when I heard a knock on my door. I turned and saw Shuuya-kun standing there. He was dressed in a white graphic tee and blue jeans. His black hair was slightly damp, and his towel hung from his right shoulder.

"I'm done," he told me. "You can go shower now."

"Thanks," I said, locking my suitcase.

"Yeah, don't take too long," he said. "I'll go make breakfast, then we'd have to leave by nine forty-five."