Chapter 16:Glossary

Hello, once again, thank you so much for all your support with my novel. I really appreciate all the feedback, votes and views. :)

The Flower and Willow World:

Well, in this chapter I kind of tried to use some imagery to show the differences of the worlds of Yukino and Ayano, and what better than to use this analogy? I felt it was quite fitting although rather subtle. The 'Flower and Willow World' was a term used to describe the lives of geisha(芸者) and oiran(花魁) of the Tokugawa period, the artisans and courtesans of the entertainment districts (花街 hanamachi) They were deemed to be living a life in a separate world, the flowers being the geisha while the willows the oiran. They were referred to that due to their art of gracefulness and refinement was on a whole level by itself, appearing to be from another world to the common folk. Oiran-douchuu (花魁道中)or a 'courtesan parade' were a common sight in the pleasure quarters of the major Japanese cities of the Shogunate period, namely Edo, Osaka and Kyoto. The oiran would put on platform shoes and a flowery kimono, her hair put up in a gaudy style, before slowly walking step-by-step to the abode of her client, together with an entire retinue of servants and attendees.