Chap 14

~Kyle~

The drive was smooth as the sun rose high in the blue sky. I didn’t have a destination to where I was going I just chose to go straight. I passed through a large city then a few small towns on the empty morning streets. I stopped to get gas once more since last night. I pulled up to a pump, I was surprised how effortlessly I parked by it since I hadn’t drove a car before now… well that was probably a lie. In my old life I would think I knew how to drive so I guess it was like riding a bike. Sighing I glanced at Levi who was snuggled up in a large jacket I laid over him a while ago, his seat was pulled all the way back so he was laying down.

I had a strong urge to reach over and brush the wild messy hair from his face but I controlled it and got out. I heard a whine from Lakota as I shut the door quietly, I placed my finger to my lips and he lay his head back down on his paws watching me walk towards the building to pay for the gas. I reached into my pocket for the cash I had left over from the last gas trip.

A girl stood behind the counter and I told her the number of the pump I needed. Slowly I began roaming around the store looking for snacks that we could eat. I heard the sound of a bell jingle as someone else came in from outside. I didn’t look I just grabbed a couple sweets, bags of chips with a couple waters. I went back to the counter and watched the lady ring up all food. Right when she was done I felt a presence behind me and I glanced back to see a large guy with a black t-shirt and jeans with dark shades on top of his head.

 He looked at me and nodded his head in greeting with a gentle smile so I did the same and turned back. The lady handed me the bag of food and I took it and left to fill the tank. Once that was all done I pulled out of the gas station.

I drove down a bunch of woodland areas, just a vast expansion of trees everywhere I drove. It was peaceful actually. I felt like it was home, all that green made me want to jump out of my skin just like the other day when I attacked Matt. My good mood changed with the thought of Matt. I wonder if anyone noticed if he was gone or not. Or if they noticed Levi and I were missing. Sighing I continued down the highway when I heard Lakota whine. I frowned and looked back at him to see him standing on the seat looking out the back window. I glanced up to see a large black car behind us but didn’t think much of it so I looked back out the windshield but Lakota’s whines turned into growls.

 Living with this wolf from the moment I woke up in the forest so long ago I’ve learned to rely on him to help me survive all this time so that means I’ve learned all his warning sounds and this was a clear warning something wasn’t right. Once again I looked behind me to see Lakota’s hair raised on end and his ears back with his teeth bared in aggression, still glaring out the back window. The black car was much closer now so I pushed further on the pedal to get away from it but it was right on my tail and I realized then I was being chased.

“Shit” I muttered and looked over to Levi who was still sleeping peacefully, snuggled warm under the jacket. I hated waking him from this position but this was an emergency.

“Levi” I said but he didn’t move. I glanced in the review mirror to see the car gaining.

“Levi!” I said much louder and he finally moved cracking his sleepy eyes opened to squint at me.

“Yeah” his voice was husky as he sat his seat back up in the right position and rubbed his eyes.

“Were being chased” I stated and this rid him of his grogginess.

“What!?” he turned back to see the car. “Lose him” he demanded.

“Yeah, one problem, I’m not the world’s best drive Levi. All I’ve been doing has been going straight.” he furrowed his brow with worry.