Chapter 4

Chapter 3

Kaitlyn's POV

Kaitlyn woke up to a beautiful Monday morning. The sun was shining, and a slight breeze danced in the air. 

The only downside to the day, was that it was the first day of school. Kaitlyn was in her last year of school, before she headed off to college. She had never really ever thought about college. Only her dad went to college. Her mom stayed home and took care of her. Kaitlyn was born when her mom was only eighteen. It put her mom and dad in a rough spot, at the time. When her dad was done with college, he quickly went on a search for a job. He couldn't get a job in anything he was interested in, so he took a  job working at a small restaurant close the where they lived. 

Her dad worked there until Kaitlyn was fifteen. Then he got laid off. The restaurant owner wasn't getting enough money to pay all of his employees. 

Since then, her dad has been searching in every newspaper he saw, occasionally helping her mom babysit. 

But Kaitlyn was determined to go to a nice college, and get a good job. 

She just wasn't willing to flip burgers everyday for the rest of her life. She always had hope in herself, and her mom was always telling her, "You can do anything you set your heart to." Kaitlyn always thought of that as a cheesy line, but it started to make more sense to her as she got older. 

A loud thump interrupted Kaitlyn's thoughts. 

She quickly ran down stairs to see what was going on.

She got into the kitchen and found her mom on the floor clutching her leg to her chest.

"Oh my gosh! What  happened mom?" Kaitlyn gasped.

Her mom answered with a very shaky breath.

"I, I... I fell off a chair while I was trying to get something in the cupboard."

"Mom.. you could have just asked me to get what you were looking for."

Her mom hesitated before speaking. "That's... that's OK. Can you just drive me to the ER?"

"Alright." Kaitlyn sighed. 

She carefully lifted her mom and put her arm around her shoulder. Then they both hobbled out to the car.

When they got to the hospital, a nurse came out and put her mom in a wheel chair.

Kaitlyn waited outside her mom's hospital room door while she was getting some blood drawn, and getting x-rays. 

Finally a doctor came out and sat next to Kaitlyn. He waited a short minute, before he started to speak.

"Kaitlyn, your mom's leg is fine, but while we were doing x-rays on her leg, we also did more x-rays on her stomach, and other parts of her body. When we did one of her stomach, we found something that doesn't look so good."

"What? What did you find?" 

Kaitlyn was starting to get really nervous.

"Your mom..Your mom has cancer."

{I know it's a short chapter, but I have other things to do today.  So, hope you enjoyed the chapter! :) }