Chapter 11 - The Mystery Continues

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter touches upon the topic of rape. Also, I ask that everyone remain respectful in the comments, please. Thank you.

I brought a discussion about rape to the lunch table a few days after Valentine's Day. And when I say 'discussion', it was more of a heated debate between Sean and me, which descended into a slanging match. Never say that Sophia Davis isn't a girl who can make your day interesting.

It wasn't my intention to cause such a heated and angry discussion while tucking into the college's questionable looking Friday special of spaghetti, but I mentioned to my friends the fact that two high school football players accused in the Steubenville, Ohio rape trial were found guilty on all counts of the charges. I told them about how the victim was at a party and like so many young people had a bit too much to drink and blacked out. When she gained consciousness she had no recollection of the previous night's events and learned of what happened to her through social media and text messages. Too my annoyance and utter shock Sean, the guy who one of my best friends was in a relationship with, claimed that 'it's her own fault for being so careless.'

"Excuse me?" I asked, already feeling my patience go out the window.

"Sean, I can't believe you just said that," Dina exclaimed in a disapproving voice.

Sean just shrugged. "There's just something to be said for putting yourself in that situation and bringing it on yourself," he admitted. "Like what those guys did was wrong but she was to blame as well. And the only reason you disagree is because you live in this ideal world, Sophia, where everything is white and black."

"I do not," I hissed.

"Sean, I think you need to take your head out of your arse because you're so full of shit," Lucy said running her hand through her messy black bob.

"I obviously don't agree with rape but those girls don't go around making it easier for themselves by drinking way too much or wearing a dress that's one size too small," he insisted, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I am honestly nauseous because of the fact that you're essentially defending rape."

"You're taking what I'm saying the wrong way," he insisted while the rest of us looked at him with evident disapproval.

"There's no other way to take it," I said flailing my arms, and making my bracelets bangle furiously. "I've had enough of this victim blaming. We should be telling our sons not to attack instead of telling our daughters how to prevent being victims of these vicious attacks. It is never on them."

"Listen Sophia, there's no need for you to get so upset," he said smiling sheepishly as he realised that he had obviously said the wrong thing to the wrong people. "All I meant was that girls need to be careful with how they dress and the message they're sending out."

My blood boiled at his words and I nearly forgot that my best friend was hopelessly into this usually nice guy as I tried to control my temper. It this very best friend who has to deal with being hit by the ignorance of her own boyfriend after her own personal ordeal with the subject at hand.

"When you should be condemning the rapist for their unforgivable actions you are blaming the woman. I'm sick and tired of this. Women shouldn't be shamed into silence because some in society find it difficult to acknowledge they are part of the problem. Every time you stand by and watch a guy harass a girl, you are contributing to the problem. Every time you call a woman a slut, you are contributing to the problem. When you claim that a guy somehow has the right to touch a girl then you are contributing to the problem," I bit out as Sean's face fell.