Undercover Princess Mia : Chapter Twenty One

"What? Dad already flew back to England? How cruel of him!" I yelled furiously and rubbed my temples as the maids tried to calm me down. It had been six days since the incident and today was Jack's funeral.

Dad just went back yesterday night without informing. He couldn't wait for one more day and attend the funeral and then go? I was very mad at him, beyond mad at him. He couldn't even do this much for Jack, for the man who sacrificed his own life for his master's daughter.

I strode towards the bathroom and took a long shower with cold water. It calmed me a little and my head felt light due to massaging my blonde locks. Then I made my way to the closet and slipped into a black dress. The fabric of the dress was thick, almost like woollen as it clung to my body, accentuating every curve. The dress was plain and had a turtle neck with small, shiny, black beads surrounding it like a necklace. It reached till my knees, the perfect appropriate length and I wore matching black sandals with block heels.

I hated that dress because of the sad memories attached to it, this being the same dress I wore for the funeral of Noah's dad. Still, when I wanted to throw it, I just couldn't do it. This dress made me repent of all my foolish deeds. The guilt that I deserved to carry like a burden on my shoulders.

I wore simple pearl earrings while the maids simultaneously pulled my blonde locks together into a bun and fixed the black wig on top of it. My head was aching a lot today, so I instructed the maids to not put any pins to secure the wig. The wig would stay in place as long as I didn't pull it myself.

"Ma'am the driver has come," the maid said while running a comb through my wig hair. I dismissed them and quietly walked downstairs, my shoulders slumped in defeat and overwhelming misery. Now I missed Jack following me everywhere like a creepy shadow even though it infuriated me a lot before. Guess that was true, we always understand the value of people only when we lose them.

* * *

I strutted out of the black car, my chin up to show some courage although everything around me seemed gloomy. The trees and the grass looked dry, even though it was spring time. The murky sky looked like it was going to be thunderous and would cry buckets of water. The environment looked disastrous and screamed loneliness just like my heart.

The funeral had already begun and  almost everyone in the town was present even though they had known Jack only for a little time. I noticed Kyle being chased by a number of cute, little girls as their parents tried to quiten them on such a solemn occasion. I spotted Carla who was seated briskly beside Noah. I couldn't see them as their back was turned to me and I quietly walked and took a seat beside Noah which was empty.

He smiled ruefully at me and I gave a curt nod. He did look incredibly handsome in a tux, his dark brown hair gelled properly and his blue eyes were unreadable, his face stoic. He intertwined our fingers and placed it on his thigh and gently carresed my hand. Surprisingly, it calmed me and several people present there came and talked about Jack, which left tears in my eyes. And then came Katy.

I took a sharp breath as I saw her climbing the short stairs to reach the stage. She looked pale, fragile and broken, but still she smiled confidently. This was my first encounter with her after the loss and I couldn't meet her eyes. Fortunately, she didn't notice me.

She didn't have any paper in her hand to give an eulogy about Jack yet it seemed like she would speak wonderfully by how her eyes sparkled. She smoothened her skirt and and held the microphone feebly.

"Jack," she started softly, taking in deep breath. "Jack was . . . erm my second love. I never thought that I would ever be able to love again after my first love uh . . . cheated on me. But Jack . . . he was a great man. He made me believe in him, he made me believe in love again."

She wiped her tears with a tissue and continued in a shaky voice, "He made me feel like I have never loved anyone before him. He made me feel like I was his only one. Everything was fine and perfect until that day. I knew it, I knew it was too good to be true."

Katy laughed quietly, trying to cover her incessant tears and cracking voice. "The last time I talked to Jack was just seconds before his death. He lay on my lap, covered in this-this pool of blood. His last words were . . . 'don't be afraid, my love.'"

Tears were rolling down everyone's cheeks as people clapped softly. I clutched my dress, my lips drawing into a thin line. Katy smiled woefully and walked down the stairs.

"I would like Miss. Amelia Parker to come here and share her thoughts," the priest said and I felt all eyes boring into me. Noah squeezed my hand in reassurance and slowly let go of it. Suddenly, I felt hollow and cold inside.

Katy's wide eyes met mine and I couldn't bear all the feelings anymore. I couldn't do this. I just couldn't. I got up from the seat swiftly and scurried right outside the hall. My vision turned obscure as I quickly sat inside the car and weakly ordered the driver to take me home. I sat stiffly the entire way to my house, my hands balled into fists while I tried my best to contain all my emotions.

Once I was home, I cried loudly to my heart's content, mourning for all the lives that had been lost due to me. I lay trembling on the bed until I realized that it was already night time.

Memories, old and new were playing in my head like a film without sound. I kicked out of heels and changed into my pyjamas. I cleaned my mascara running face with wet wipes since I had no energy to take a shower or scrub my face. I didn't even care at how grotesque I looked with my blotchy face, hideous glasses and loosely placed wig. I just needed some fresh air so I wore slippers and walked like a zombie into the backyard. I was quietly swinging on the swing until I heard him.

"Strawberry, are you alright?" Noah's voice was laced with concern as he approached me, now dressed into track pants and a plain white t-shirt.

"I should be," I replied flatly and He stood behind me. He gently started to push the swing and we didn't talk for a while. There was a comfortable silence with only the occasional sounds of the neighbourhood dogs barking or the rustling of leaves. The air was cool as it hit me each time Noah pushed the swing and me forward and I rubbed my arms for some warmth.

After some time, I hopped down the swing and cracked a feigned smile at Noah. I exhaled loudly and hugged myself. Noah quietly walked and stood in front of me until we were just a few inches apart. He tucked a stray strand of my wig-hair and gently stroked my cheek.

Tingles shot through my body as I leaned against his warm touch. His blue eyes bore into mine, as if looking right through my fake glasses. He cupped my cheeks and tilted his head while gingerly leaning forward. My eyes shut in it's own accord and he gave me a quick peck on my lips.

My eyes fluttered open, my eyebrows furrowing in frustration and he chuckled. It wasn't even a kiss, he was  teasing me. I missed the sensation of his lips on mine even if it was just for a second.

His strong arms encircled my waist and I wrapped mine around his neck. I forgot all the initial sadness as I stood there quietly in his arms. My hands rolled his sleeve when I saw some letters and my eyes widened. The tattoo of 'J' was no longer only 'J' that meant Jessica. Now, it said and meant 'John.'

I couldn't believe that he tattooed his father's name, the man I murdered.

"Noah, w-what is this?" I asked dubiously, a lump forming in my throat.

He pulled me closer and his grip around my waist tightened. He gently stroked my cheek as his one hand traveled above my eyebrows. He tucked a piece of my wig-hair behind my ear.

"Amelia, you made me realize during our practises that all of us tend to make mistakes. I always thought my father was at fault and he indeed was, but he did love me. I wouldn't forgive him for what he did to my mum, but at the same time, I treated him like shit for many years and now he's gone. He deserves to have people here on earth, who still love him and remember him in their heart. Thank you Strawberry, for unknowingly making me realize. I love you . . . Holy . . . shit!"

The next moment went by a blur as I witnessed my black wig tossed on the grass, my blonde locks cascading down my back like waves and stopping at my waist. My glasses were thrown down as Noah took a step back.

"You--- "

"I-I'm Princess Mia."