Undercover Princess Mia : Chapter Thirteen

"Noah . . . Slow down . . . not this fast . . . Oh my God!" I giggled and gently slapped Noah's shoulder who chuckled in his deep rich voice which made his body rumble and I could feel his laughter.

One week had passed by, Noah and I were laughing and talking. He was tutoring me for history of this country  while I taught him polo regularly. Because of him, I scored incredibly well in history and he too learned polo very well. He had an astute mind and was a quick learner and improved efficiently if one would ignore the number of times he fell from the horse while playing.

I still didn't tell Katy and Jack that I had seen Ethan the other day in the city. I didn't want them to get worried about me and if they came to know, then maybe I would be sent somewhere else. And I didn't want that to happen which would mean that I had to leave my new best friends and especially Noah. 

The words that Ethan said, 'I'm looking for her,' had been haunting me everyday, but he was looking for me in the city, right? So why get worried unnecessarily? Besides, I was undercover and nobody could recognize me in this quaint town in the countryside.

Today, Noah and I were sitting on Coco since Peggy was sick. My arms were wrapped firmly around his waist while he was the one riding the horse. We were cracking lame jokes while riding and I muffled my laughter by burying my head in his shoulder.

"Noah, I think we should probably go. Tomorrow is your polo match, you should relax at home," I suggested and he simply shrugged.

"It's just seven now. Besides, I want to show you something."

"What is it?"

"It's not here, we have to go back to the car. Hold me properly, Coco will go faster now," he announced blithely  and kicked Coco gently on it's side.

I shrieked and quickly leaned on Noah. "Well-shit. Noah, I'm falling here!"

"Hold me tight, will you?" he said in his deep voice and I nodded, while tightening my grip around his waist. We were crossing the river swiftly and it felt so nice with the wind making a harsh contact with my skin and strands of my wig hair flying with  the wind. The breeze caressing my exposed neck and the mellifluous sound of the water running in between the rocks was so soothing to my ears.

The cold river water was splashing and tickling my bare ankles, my toes occasionally dipping in the shallow, crystal clear water. The coolness of the night and the eerie silence was sending chills throughout my body and goosebumps rose, but the heat from Noah's body made me feel surprisingly warm and comfortable. His mere presence made me feel safe even in the dark silence of the night.

* * *

"Here, come down," Noah said and offered his hand. I held it firmly and hopped down, making sure that my skirt did not travel up in the process. I blushed when Noah continued holding my hand and stared at me.

"Erm . . . your car. You wanted to show something, didn't you?" I asked awkwardly and looked at him.

Noah's ears turned a shade of pink when he realized that he was still holding my hand and not letting me go. He quickly dropped my hand like I burned his flesh and led me to his car while I quietly followed him.

* * *

"I think we should go home," I said worriedly and looked all around the dark atmosphere.

"Why, are you scared?"

"Who wouldn't? You have bought me to the cemetery in the night, Noah!" I complained and he smirked at me, knowing how to give me the creeps.

"Why are we here tell me---- "

"Hush," Noah hushed me to stay silent and I obediently nodded. He took my hand and led me to the northern end of the cemetery. There was a big patch of land with uneven grass and weeds while the place looked like no one came here often and it looked spooky.

"Why am I here? There are hardly any trees let alone any people. What are we--- "

"Look up," He cut me off and I crossed my arms.

"Why?"

"Stop asking questions and look up," he said tartly, definitely sounding irritated. I looked up to where Noah was pointing and I could see innumerable, shinning stars adorning the dark sky, like the sky was proving shelter to them. The countless, sparkling and glittering stars seemed like they were dancing in mirth, one turning dim while the other getting bright.

There were no trees to block the view or any high-rise buildings. I was mesmerized by the beauty which was above me, when suddenly strong arms pulled me down. "Hey--- "

"Lie down and relax," Noah said calmly and I reluctantly lay next to him. Our arms were brushing each other's sending strange sensations throughout my body in such a chilled night. Did he too feel the tingles when we touched? I shook my head and brushed those silly thoughts away.

I made myself comfortable by wiggling for a while on the grass and watched the twinkling stars. It brought back old memories of mine and my sister's.

"My sister told stories about how one day we all will become a distant star,
As we lay in the backseat of our car,
Countless stars shimmering and glittering,
We were smiling and our eyes crinkling,
But my happiness disappeared when my sister said that I wasn't a star,
I looked away in hurt and she gazed beyond the stars, somewhere far,
Then she pulled me closer and whispered, "You aren't a star, Amelia. You're the sky ruling over the stars."

Noah didn't say anything for a while and then praised, "That was nice."

Tears pricked my eyes, but I smiled ruefully and said in a shaky voice, "I wrote this poem when I was ten based on what my sister had said that night. It's always easier to remember poetries for me since I even sing this when I need motivation. When I have given up on my life, but need to-to just push forward."

Noah just hummed as we both looked at the stars, lost in our own world, maybe somewhere beyond the world where we weren't broken. Then suddenly, I recalled something very important that broke my reverie. I sat up crossing my legs and took out an envelope from my pocket.

"Here take this." I stretched my hand out and passed it to him.

He sat up lazily, carefully inspected the white envelope and asked, "What is it?"

"Go ahead, open it." I waved my hand towards the envelope, encouraging him to do so. He hesitated, but opened the envelope gingerly and started reading it. He then looked up and studied me while I tried to suppress my grin.

"Is it true, Strawberry?"

"Of course it is!" I exclaimed in a cheerful tone.

He looked flabbergasted as he slowly let the information sink in. Then he surprised me by suddenly pulling me into a tight hug. Tingles shot through my body and I grinned widely. Before I could savour the warmth of his body, he pulled away, much to my disappointment.

"How did you do this?"

"I told Kyle to bring the painting of Coco and me crossing the river and secretly I sent it to the RYC ARTS University. They sent the painting back after two days and Kyle quietly placed it back, without you noticing about it. Soon I received an email that they want you enrolled in their university, for your incredible skill in painting and drawing! And here, I brought you your free college scholarship!" I explained and smiled gleefully.

His eyes twinkled in excitement and wonder. At least I could do this for Noah, couldn't I? Besides, he deserved this. Noah neatly folded the piece of paper and shoved it in his pocket. He then intertwined our fingers and gently kissed my knuckles, a sweet gesture of respect and gratefullness.