Chapter 9

"Hey, Devin..." I squeak out nervously. "Would you like to ah... Come over to my place after work today?" I look up from my feet and... I see my reflection. I'm standing in my bathroom, talking to myself in the mirror. I'm wearing my waiters uniform. I sigh and shuffle out of the bathroom. "I'm sitting here talking to myself..."

I shuffle over to the couch and plop down onto it. I stare at my bland ceiling, lost in my thoughts. I hardly slept at all last night. When I figured out I had feelings for Devin... I kinda freaked out. He wouldn't like me anyway... I'm just a depressed loner. A nobody. "He doesn't care about me..." I mumble. "Nobody ever does..." I raise my paw and look at my watch. Time for work.

I stand up and shuffle over to the counter to grab my car keys. I trudge over to the front door and turn the handle. A chilly breeze blows against my fur as the door swings open. I walk through my front door and into the chilly weather. I unlock my car and open the door quickly. I sit down in the driver's seat and stick my keys into the ignition. I turn the keys and soon hear the steady grumble of my car. I look in the passenger seat and see my brown coat, neatly folded.

I slowly drive out of my driveway and head to work. I leave the radio off as I drive. I let out a deep sigh and turn the heater on as I drive down the road slowly. I wish this stupid cold weather would leave...

I slowly approach the diner parking lot. The neon 'Open' sign is still off. Only a few cars sit in the parking lot. I pull into the parking lot and park my car beside Devin's truck. I open the door and hop out of my car. I shove my paws into my pockets as I trudge over to the glass front doors of the diner. I push the front doors open and a blast of warm heat greets me. Much better...

Cherie is sitting behind the podium in front of me, looking down at her phone. She glances up and smiles at me. "Good morning." she says. She looks back down at her phone and continues on with her task.

"Good morning..." I mutter, rubbing what's left of the sleepy out of my eyes. I hear two booming laughs from the other end of the diner. Devin and Larry are laughing near the back of the diner. Devin looks at me and smiles. He says something to Larry, and he starts walking over to me.

"Heya buddy!" he smiles. He sets his paw down on the table beside us and leans on it. His triceps bulge slightly as he lounges. I try not to drool on my feet.

"Hey Dev." I say. "How you doing?"

"I'm alright..." He stands up and shoves his paws into his pockets. He looks down at the ground. "So uh, you doing anything tonight?"

"Uh... Not really." I reply.

"Well... There's a fair in town..." he says. "It's lots of fun. I was wondering if you'd like to go to it tonight after work."

"Y-yeah..." I stutter. "I'd love that.

A smile suddenly appears on Devin's face. He jumps up and down softly. "Great! You're gonna have a great time bud! I promise!" He stops jumping and looks behind me. I follow his gaze and see Cherie turn the 'Open' sign on. The work day has officially started. "Well..." Devin says. "Guess we gotta start work. I'll catch ya later this evening!" He turns around and starts walking into the kitchen. I watch his tail sway back and forth gently. Cute...

"Hey." Cherie says, snapping me from my trance. "Stop daydreaming and get a move on."

"Ok ok ok..." I mutter. Questions race through my mind. Why was Devin so nervous asking me to the fair? Or did I just imagine him being nervous? Either way... I get to spend time with him.